Judy L's UFO Challenge

Monday, February 18, 2008

Busy, busy. Hello readers! How are you all? I am still here. I went to my friends house Saturday for our little quilting circle. It was just me and Tirane93 ...bad weather kept the rest away. I took my 7 Sisters with me to begin hand quilting. I made some pretty good progress. This is the first item I am hand quilting and am still trying to figure it out. Tirane93 loaned me two quilting hoops. I have tried three different hoops so far and no hoop at all. I have used the oval hoop the most so far. I am going to forge ahead with that one and really try to work it out. I am getting around 8-10 stitches per inch. Practice, practice, practice!

I had originally decided to machine sew the binding onto Simple Simon to take to my quilitng get together. After I read the right way to bind the diamond shape edge I decided to take my time with it and wait until I had a little more time. Last night I started machine basting around the outer edge. Then I can trim it a little and sew the binding on it. Then more trimming and hand work to come! Joy! How did I pile so much hand work up on myself? It's ok...I am watching my TV shows and getting my UFOs finished at the same time. Works for me!

7 comments:

SuBee said...

That IS a lot of hand work - but don't you find it relaxing? I always find myself wishing I had more -- I guess I need to tackle quilting a full sized project. 8 - 10? That's pretty darn good!

Quilt crazy said...

Have you tried using an "Aunt Becky" metal device. You place it under the quilt and tap your needle into it before you head back towards the top of the quilt. I found it greatly increased my speed when hand quilting.

Gina said...

I don't use a hoop or frame when I'm hand quilting as I can't get on withthem. It doesn't seem to affect my stitching. Don't worry about how many stitches per inch you do. Contrary to popular belief it doesn't matter. What does matter is how even they are and that the stitch should be slightly larger than the gap between them.
Enjoy your stitching and try to do some everyday, even if it's only 10 mins.
love and hugs xxx

Teresa said...

I am here through the More Quilting for Fun blog ring and am making the rounds for the first time. I also do not handquilt with a hoop. I use a "underthimble" on my finger under the quilt to keep from pricking my finger and the curve of it helps to guide the needle back up. I love handwork and usually always have some with me whenever I know I will have to be sitting for any length of time. I just wish my pastor would understand if I brought it to church!

julieQ said...

Sounds like you are making great progress on your UFO's. and catching up on favorite TV programs as well! I have used hoop after hoop, and I have found that lap quilting off the hoop is best for me. It is so fun and relaxing!

Greenmare said...

just you, your friend, and 7 sisters? sounds like a big group to me! ;-)

Quilter In Paradise said...

hi! glad you guys had a good time,, i'm going to really try to be there next month - I don't like to miss - I miss my sewing buddies!

Maybe I should bring some hand quilting and you can show me what works best for you..

oh! What is an Aunt Becky?

Mimi