Judy L's UFO Challenge

Wednesday, August 06, 2008

I Need an Intervention

Last year I was on "No Buy" on the Stashbuster yahoogroup. The premise is that you only buy needed purchases. The legal "B"s. Backing, borders, binding. Some stretched it a little further and started including background. I was very good while I was on this challenge. They allowed you a 1 week "free" period which I did take advantage of. I had a list and I shopped to it. Otherwise I bought nothing but legal purchases.

This year, after No Buy, I was pretty good about my purchases until I was introduced to the Golden D'Or. That is when I began to fall apart. Golden D'Or is a fabric outlet and they have all sorts of fabrics available. They have tables covered in flat folds of every variety and then there is the Quilters room. This room has nothing but 100% cotton in it.

First there were these purchases. Not all is pictured as I sent quite a good bit of yardage to a friend in Australia. There are some pieces in there targeted specifically to charity quilts. Yardage on bolts is 2.99 for cotton and .99 for flatfolds. The flatfolds are not marked so you have to just try your luck on content.




I told myself I wouldn't go there again until I used up my stash. But then a dreaded email was sent announcing a 30% off sale on everything. A couple of gals decided to make the run and asked if I needed anything. I thought ok maybe just those animal prints I saw. I'll take 1 yard of each. How many could there be? 5 or 6 maybe? There were 15 of them.




Conicidentally I went to meet my sewing group that weekend. The house we meet at is very close to the Golden D'Or. We had to end our sewing meeting early and one of the gals decided to go to Golden D'Or for the last day of the sale. I mentioned that when I tried to go in that direction before that I sort of got twisted around. My friend very generously told me the easy way to get there. I hopped in the car heading for home. When my car saw the exit it just happily drove to Golden D'Or (that's my story and I am sticking to it). Who did I see there? My sewing buddy. I shopped a bit more exuberantly this time. Afterall it was on sale right? I found some great flatfolds with beautiful textures.




So as you can see. I need an intervention. There have been several excursions to Walmart for some other purchases in between all this. I just need to stay out of the stores!

8 comments:

Babs said...

Isn't Golden D'or the best!
Can't wait to see what you do with the animal prints.

Debi said...

It really is the best place to shop for fabrics especially for PL quilts. I was just there on Monday and walked away with six differnet flannels for a baby quilt.

Teresa said...

Sure wish we had one of those in SC...looks like you got some great buys!

Quilter Kathy said...

But how could you resist those wonderful fabrics at such good prices?!?! I am a bad influence!

Sweet P said...

The fabrics and prices are great! I can understand how you couldn't resist buying them. Enjoy using them.

Lynn E said...

Its okay, be at piece with your fabric purchases. All is understood by others with same affliction. I don't think that I could have stopped myself. Hugs

Greenmare said...

OH I hear you! sometimes that happens to me on ebay with some great fabric stores there. sigh, no willpower.

Quilter In Paradise said...

LOL I just read this post.... yep Golden D'Or is a money pit... check out my sewing room and you'll see why I'm in danger of being crushed under tons of fabrics! LOL!!

Mimi