Judy L's UFO Challenge

Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Stashbuster Retreat and UFO Progress This past weekend was the stashbuster retreat. I decided to get an RR done and in the mail as my first priority. That went off in the mail on Saturday. I am left with one RR which I have started hand quilting. I am glad I got this piece early. I have 6 weeks to quilt it. It is small and should be doable.

On UFOs. I decided to start quilting my Chain Event. I decided to quilt small portions every day in order to not wreck my neck and shoulders and to allow me time to tend to other things. Saturday I stitched in the ditch around the 9 stars. Sunday I quilted all the 4 patches that surrounded the stars. I stitched an arc along each of the edges of the 4 patches. From the back it looks like a star flower.


I got through that quilting pretty easily so drafted my quilting pattern for the free motion onto Golden Threads paper. I wasn't totally satisfied with how it looked so took my drawing with me to my friend's house. We talked about how it looked and I made a small change to it. I am using nylon thread to quilt. They suggest that you unthread your machine and sew through one design into all your papers to mark the pattern. Somehow with out realizing it the nylon worked it's way into my sewing machine and worked it's way around the arm. I was able to get some out of the works but have to take the machine to the shop to have the rest taken care of. I was really disappointed in myself for allowing that to happen and to not be able to get more quilting done. Live and learn!

3 comments:

Greenmare said...

oh man bummer on the thread in your machine!!!! I love your maple leaves though! my favorite!

Colleen formerly of South Africa said...

I love the colors of this quilt... it is a stunner.

Finn said...

Great job on the UFO's! It a good plan to quilt a certain amount each day. I have to do that same thing, but due to eye strain. We'll win the UFO battle yet! Hugs, Finn