Judy L's UFO Challenge

Friday, December 26, 2008

Mother's First Quilt

I did not grow up in a quilter family. In fact, I don't think there were really any other craftiness other than garment sewing. I learned to crochet from the lady across the street when I was young. My mom learned later. I learned to quilt. Mom didn't express much interest until a few years ago. When I was visiting her a few summers ago I made a few tote bags. She was interested and she later made several of her own.

Earlier this year we were talking about what I was working on. She said something to the effect that she was doing something but didn't want to tell me. She relented and let me know she was making a quilt. I was so proud of her. She had quilted the center and was talking about stippling and that she didn't like how it looked so she was picking out the stitches. I haven't even stippled anything yet myself!

I present to you mom's first quilt. She did a great job and I am so proud of her!



10 comments:

Susan said...

What a wonderful quilt.

I really like the way she fussy cut the center of each block.... I can see the apple doesn't fall from the tree. Your mother had this hidden interest all along. You just encouraged her to display it.

Jeanne said...

That's so great! Now you'll have even more things to talk about and share with each other.

tirane93 said...

what a darling quilt! she did a fine job!

Kathy said...

Great Quilt. Your Mom did a good job. I know how proud you must be of this quilt.

Linda said...

Wow, great job. I love the Christmas fabric. Yeah, another quilter! Hugs, Linda

Anonymous said...

hi swooze
isnt it nice when your mother inherits your passion rather than the other way around, you can be the leader and feel the teacher/encourager in this part.
see you at UFO hour now that i am back on line

Mary Johnson said...

That's a great first quilt.

My mom got into quilting because of me and it's been great sharing that passion.

Anonymous said...

It is so nice that you and your mum love the same things.
cheers

Babs said...

Love it! She did a great job.

Randi said...

That is so cute!