Tuesday, January 31, 2012

No Sewing But Lots of Working

I spent the weekend cleaning out the house. The first two pictures are my sewing room. I have a few more things left to inventory and pack. There is no rhyme or reason to what is and isn't taken by the recovery company. My current plan is to get this finished Saturday afternoon.































This is the source of the fire. It started in the dryer and went up the wall to the ceiling and across into the kitchen. Luckily it did not spread further out into the house. Everything is covered in soot and smoke and was removed from the house for cleaning. Those things left behind are my responsibility to clean if I choose.






























My son and I moved to an apartment today. Most of it will be setup by the time I get home from work. I doubt I will get to sew much this week but I sure am going to try!


Friday, January 27, 2012

And She Sewed....

So my goal was to get to the halfway mark of making all the winged triangles I needed for the center blocks. I fell short by 10 or so. But what I really wanted to do was to make this little baby. Bonnie likened it to a crab. See the eyes? They are white. I love it. So many on Bonnie's yahoogroup had alignment issues or questions and I had to try it to see if I would face the same problem.

It isn't pressed yet so it is curling up a tad. I think it looks great. I was going to make as many of these as I had wings for but then decided to keep trucking on the wings. All the wings. Only about 200 to go. You know I am going to do something different don't you? LOL! Maybe finish off 4 blocks worth so I can make a little setting to see what it looks like. I am hopeless!











Thursday, January 26, 2012

Still Sewing

I sewed another three hours or so last night. I was adding triangles to HSTs to make wings. I am going to have a little giveaway. Can you guess how many wings I made in that three hour period? HSTs were already assembled and the triangles to be sewn on were already cut. I realize this is a bad picture. I added two triangles to each HST.

I am not sure what I will give away but will pull something together.

























Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Black and White
I completed my Ohio Stars for Bonnie Hunter's Orca Bay mystery. I skipped a step and have to go back to that. I have to add wings (triangles) to 350 HSTs.

Knowing how I work I will sew a few of these and work on another step repeating from the top. Have to break up the monotony somehow!






Monday, January 23, 2012

Design Wall Monday - January 23, 2012

I have not sewn for myself since March of 2011. On New Year's Day we had a house fire that gutted my kitchen and my laundry room. My son and I took some clothes and a few other things to live with until we could move back into our house. This is not going to be for another 3 months at least according to my builder and the insurance company.

Just that morning I had decided that I was going to start sewing again and had even completed some mending. I had dug out a project that I was going to start working on again to see if I could get my quilty mojo going. Then the fire happened.

I noticed a lot of people on Bonnie Hunter's QuiltvilleChat yahoogroup mentioning that they had accidentally made too many parts while making her Orca Bay mystery quilt. I thought it would be fun to ask these folks if they would send me their spare parts so that I could try to cobble together a rainbow Orca Bay. That was how simple my plan was. No thought to where I would get a sewing machine or that fact that I didnt have any notions what so ever.

Bonnie put a message on her group asking to send me Orca bay parts. To date I have received over 25 packages of notions, FQs, scraps, yardage, Orca Bay pieces and parts and even what I lovingly call my Orca Bay in a box. Teresa from the QuiltvilleChat group decided that she did not want to finish her quilt. She had completed through step 4 of 8. She sent all the pieces plus some additional fabric. Between her box and the other packages I have been pulling strips and continued cutting for the mystery.

I have completed 7 of the light Ohio stars and only have 21 more of those to go. I have started assembling the pieces for the 28 dark Ohio stars as well. I can't wait to get back to sewing!