Judy L's UFO Challenge

Thursday, June 27, 2013

BONUS HSTs

You knoiw what I am referring to...those little bits you trim off your blocks that, if sewn together, would result in an HST.  How small do you save?  I just trimmed off some pieces that would yield a .75" finished (1.25" unfinished) HST.  I guess you could sew an 1/8" seam and get a 1" finish.  Anyone use/save these tiny treasures?

I used to throw these all in the trash but I think I will try sewing up various sizes to see what is the smallest I would go for saving and sewing.  I will report back.

4 comments:

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

I save pathetically small amounts.. That is my story and I am sticking to it.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I normally throw them in the trash but a couple weeks ago I made a mug rug with them and the finished half square triangle blocks are 3/4" :)

Tamara Hampton said...

Im with QuiltSwissy! I save wayyy to small of peices! I use them in crazy blocks.

Bonnie said...

I've collected these for years. And I've finally decided if it makes a half square triangle less than an inch I don't want it! All year I've been giving instructions on blocks you can use those cut off triangles with. I've made cardboard templates so that I can test the size of the triangle and then try it to a usable size. I started doing the blocks every Thursday but now I do it every other week. You can find my Triangle Thursday posts at institchewithbonnie.blogspot.com
Come join me.