See the drawn line? See the cut edge? That's a span of 3 3/8ths inches. This is the second border after the red. I managed to ease all of that in when I attached it. Nothing seemed odd when I was sewing it. In fact I was pleased with how it was going because I was using a new method for cutting my borders.
Previously I carefully measured through the center of the quilt then measured and cut my borders. This time I lay the strips on the quilt through the center and cut them. Basically the quilt served as the ruler. I cut the borders two at a time then sewed and repeat.
Normally I do not cut my borders on the straight of grain. For some reason I decided to cut the final border this way. I followed the same measuring and cutting process. Everything was going fine until I tried pinning the last borders, last sides to the quilt. One side went on without a hitch. I was savoring this finish. I flipped the quilt around and pinned the final border piece. I pin/mark the quilt and border in quarter segments to make sure things go on a little more square.
Imagine my surprise when I had way more border on the white than I did the final navy. I stretched (very little) since this was on the straight grain) pinned, coaxed and coerced. I knew my only option was to remove that white border and remeasure. I had to remove part of the navy borders on the side. All this work is how I learned that I had so much extra. Who knows how I managed that.
Here is the end result. Ignore the ripple. There was not enough space to lay it out perfectly. Believe me, it is flat. As soon as I finished the top I whipped up the backing and went straight to the quilter with it. This is for my daughter and is made of her Dad's shirts. We lost him almost 4 years ago now. This will be a nice keepsake for her. I made my daughter go with me to talk to the quilter. I walked in the door with lots of ideas which my daughter completely discarded. It's ok. We brainstormed and came up with a nice quilting plan. I'll be getting this back sometime in May. I need to work on the binding so it's ready when the quilt comes back.
i googled and studied many websites about making t-shirt quilts. I was afraid of ruining my husbands t-shirts but in spite of one small cutting error all went well. I received the most encouragement and guidance from a lady that goes to my sit and sews at the church. I can't wait to show this to her. I learned many things and look forward to making more.