Judy L's UFO Challenge

Thursday, March 26, 2015

T-Shirt Quilt - A First For Me

See the drawn line?  See the cut edge?  That's a span of 3 3/8ths inches.  This is the second border after the red.  I managed to ease all of that in when I attached it.  Nothing seemed odd when I was sewing it.  In fact I was pleased with how it was going because I was using a new method for cutting my borders.

Previously I carefully measured through the center of the quilt then measured and cut my borders.  This time I lay the strips on the quilt through the center and cut them.  Basically the quilt served as the ruler.  I cut the borders two at a time then sewed and repeat.  

Normally I do not cut my borders on the straight of grain.  For some reason I decided to cut the final border this way.  I followed the same measuring and cutting process.  Everything was going fine until I tried pinning the last borders, last sides to the quilt.  One side went on without a hitch.  I was savoring this finish.  I flipped the quilt around and pinned the final border piece. I pin/mark the quilt and border in quarter segments to make sure things go on a little more square.  

Imagine my surprise when I had way more border on the white than I did the final navy.  I stretched (very little) since this was on the straight grain) pinned, coaxed and coerced.  I knew my only option was to remove that white border and remeasure.  I had to remove part of the navy borders on the side. All this work is how I learned that I had so much extra.  Who knows how I managed that.


Here is the end result.  Ignore the ripple.  There was not enough space to lay it out perfectly.  Believe me, it is flat.  As soon as I finished the top I whipped up the backing and went straight to the quilter with it.  This is for my daughter and is made of her Dad's shirts.  We lost him almost 4 years ago now.  This will be a nice keepsake for her.  I made my daughter go with me to talk to the quilter.  I walked in the door with lots of ideas which my daughter completely discarded.  It's ok.  We brainstormed and came up with a nice quilting plan.  I'll be getting this back sometime in May.  I need to work on the binding so it's ready when the quilt comes back.



i googled and studied many websites about making t-shirt quilts.  I was afraid of ruining my husbands t-shirts but in spite of one small cutting error all went well.  I received the most encouragement and guidance from a lady that goes to my sit and sews at the church.  I can't wait to show this to her. I learned many things and look forward to making more.

6 comments:

Vic in NH said...

I so admire your courage in carrying on in the face of adversity. That quilt has so much meaning and it is beautifully made! Sending hugs.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I have never made a t shirt quilt - it looks like you did a good job with it!!

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

It is wonderful. I am sure she will cherish it. It will be like he is hugging her when she wraps herself in his shirts!!

Ramona said...

Your design for your t shirt quilt is really eye catching. I've made two and they are a challenge. I love the red borders in between the shirts. Wonderful!

Barb said...

Turned out wonderfully

Paula, the quilter said...

Well done!