I've been doing a bit of frogging since I last blogged. You can look at my last post about Grand Illusion and see that the borders are attached wrong. 2 have the pink facing out and 2 have the pink facing in. An eagle eye at my church sewing group noticed it as soon as I held it up to share. Everyone said leave it as a design element. I just couldn't. All fixed. No new photo to share.
A few days before that as I was working on the pieced border for Lazy Sunday I had a realization. Four of the pink, orange and turquoise blocks have one corner that is made with green. I hoped that I had placed them correctly before I lay out the rows. It would have to be total luck. Argh! Two were in the right position but rotated. Two were not. I ripped out the 6 offending blocks from the top and corrected everything. Onward progress.
I chose my colors for my border and completed the first two. I attached them and lay it on the ground. I was shocked at the sharp contrast and wasn't really thrilled with it. All the fabrics in the border are also in the body of the quilt. I guess the coolness of the blues make my background appear whiter while the warm colors more beige.
I made plans to take them off then put slab borders on with the warm colors. I posted on Facebook and had enough feedback suggesting I move forward. Even to add one of the warm colors as a final border.
Here is a close up of my chosen fabric for that suggestion.
Another shot a little farther away. I am going ahead with this plan. I coincidently saw an Orca Bay quilt on Bonnie Hunters blog that had a very similar effect. It just serves as an interesting, eye catching frame. I have all the pieces for the remaining sides of the pieced border sewn and just need to chain them together. Also, serendipitously, I had miscut my inner border too wide the first time. Turns out I am using those strips for my outer border.