I washed and dried the quilt and threw it on my daughter, in her bed. She pulled it up on her and snuggled in for a longer sleep. She must have been waking up and petting her quilt because not long after I heard her stirring she called out....."Mom, there's a hole in my quilt".
I went in to see what she was talking about. Of course my heart sank. What I discovered was two places where I had either missed the edge of the fabric or the thread failed me or who knows that. I had gaps in the seam. Something more highly surmountable than a hole in my opinion.
Here is what I saw.
My immediate thought is how do I fix this without making it look like it was fixed. Whipstitching and top stitching would only enhance the fact that I had to do something to the quilt. Not how I wanted to start out with this quilt.
I put a call out on the yahoo group Stashbuster and the Facebook group Quilting. I had several suggestions. The two that caught my interest were permanent fabric glue and ladder stitching. Assuming I had enough of an edge on the fabric the ladder stitch should work. On closer inspection it looked like the blue section would be fine and the red section would be close. I went for it! I ladder stitched. Here is the result.
I think I got a good result and I learned a lesson. I will be inspecting my seams a little more closely before the quilting!
Moda Blockheads…Block 41 & A Merry Blockhead Giveaway!!!
16 minutes ago