Judy L's UFO Challenge

Friday, December 22, 2017

Bright Hopes Block

Earlier this year the stashbuster yahoogroup was talking about Bright Hope blocks. I thought they were cute and a little more interesting than Happy blocks. I have the rest of the year off so decided to go to my favorite LQS and sew. I took a mystery quilt to work on that is being offered through this same store but decided to start something new. More about the mystery later.

My friend Renee was having a little destash sale several months ago. I bought three jelly rolls from her. Two of them are plaid fabrics in multiple colors. When I got them I decided to make Bright Hope blocks. I did a little math and decided to cut 2 2.5” squares from each strip then cut the remainder into 2.5” x 4.5” segments. This will yield about 38 6.5” blocks from each roll.



I used this pattern to make the blocks. It uses a partial seam on the first segment. I sewed the partial seam and realized I had accidentally used an 1/8” seam. I corrected that and sewed again. I went to sew the next segment on and it was too short. I measured the length of my segment and it was the right size. I measured the width of my segments and found it was at least 1/16” too large. I had to go back and trim all the pieces I had cut.




Luckily I had only cut half the strips into 4.5” segments.
Once I got that worked out I sewed the first two segments to the square. I trimmed the remaining strips and subcut them. I’m ready for my next sewing session.

Hugs,
Swooze