Judy L's UFO Challenge

Monday, December 18, 2017

Double Wedding Ring

Six years ago I bought a partially made Double Wedding Ring quilt from a Project Linus garage sale. There was a bunch of melons made and then even more arcs ready to put into melons.
The pattern they followed was John Flynn’s and the book and templates were included. If you are not familiar with his method he strip pieces the arcs and then there is additional sewing and trimming to achieve the curve. It includes several sizes.
The background they used was a purple that I would use, just not in this project. In fact I would call it hideous in this project.
A year later my parents were visiting me at my house. We had just spent a week together at my brothers house then they came to mine. I had had a house fire one year previous and they wanted to see the remodel. I came down with a stomache bug and didn’t want to infect them so I hid in my bedroom. I asked my mother to pick apart the melons and remove the purple. She happily did so to avoid boredom. I call this the last quilt “we” worked on together.
Fast forward to earlier this year. My stashbuster pals can correct me here. There was a discussion on the list about curved projects. Anything curved. Over the course of the year I searched through my stash and found a white on white that looks like lace.
I started cutting out the melon shapes and the centers of the blocks. I decided on a size that will be a bed topper so about 60x80. I needed 71 of the melons.
In the most recent months I’ve been piecing the melons back together. Do you know me? Have you read my previous stories? I got down to 65 melons and ran out of the fabric I was using for the connecting squares. Dated fabric!
I am part of a club at my LQS called PhD club. Projects half done. Back in September we made a list of 6 projects we wanted to finish. Yep you guessed it. My goal for yesterdays meeting was to finish my melons. Argh!
I lucked out and met with my sewing group at the church Friday night. Several of them looked at what I was trying to match. I sent a pic, crossed my fingers and went shopping the next day. I got a text asking if some fabrics one of the ladies had would work. I went and visited and will let you decide how well they worked. I did meet my goal on Sunday.




What do you think?
Hugs!!
Swooze

3 comments:

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

What a great memory to be with your mom and work on that quilt she touched.

cityquilter grace said...

i think it will be gorgeous....love the lacy fabric...it'll be a real treasure...

patty a. said...

Your running out of fabric sounds like something I would do! LOL!!! I think the new fabric looks fine. I have a double wedding ring I need to "fix/remake" for a friend. The quilt was pieced by hand by her grandmother late in life because compared to earlier quilts she had made, the DWR is a hot mess. I need to start working on it. The melons background pieces are polyester - ugh!!! I bought some Kona in the exact same color so I am going to change that part. I have had the quilt for over a year and have not touch it. I guess I should at least make an attempt. It probably won't be as bad to remake and I think. Anything I do has to be better than what it is now!