Judy L's UFO Challenge

Tuesday, March 06, 2018

What Was Lost Is Found...Sort Of

Some time ago I posed a question on my yahoo group Stashbuster. What is your oldest UFO and what are your plans to finish it? I told the group about the antique top I bought back in the late 80’s or early 90’s. I told them my plan was to find the top and then make a plan to move it forward towards a finish. I could not find it.

I have a window in my sewing room. I had this top sitting on a quilt rack in front of that window. At some point the top fell off the rack and against the window sill. There was condensation on the window that got to the quilt top and damaged it. When I discovered it I saw that there were red and blue spots that had faded. I saw shiva sticks at a quilt show in those colors and bought them with the intention to color in the faded spots.

I have looked off and on for that top with no luck. About three weeks ago I quilted a top and went looking for the premade binding. Same story, can’t find it. I have looked every where that I thought it could be. No luck and then.... I found the lost UFO top. I took it to the LQS to discuss that plan.


While we were examining it and discussing the age we realized how thread bare the sashing was. The current opinion is it is from 1960’s. My friends suggested I replace all the sashings rather than try to color them. We tried color matching. It looks like a teal blue but the original color was probably navy. I’m going to take it with me to the Dallas quilt show to try to find something suitable. I’ll be thinking of a backing and binding too while I’m at it. I do plan to hand quilt this so will be considering thread color as well.

What’s your oldest UFO and what are your plans for finishing it?

Swooze who is still looking for the bindings

6 comments:

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

love that quilt. too bad about the color loss. But I think you are right to change it out. Oh man, you reminded me that my shiva sticks were lost in the flood too.......oh man......

Anonymous said...

Auntie Kate's quilt in progress. Dated 1906 according to the tag I found on it. She did the top- I'm hand quilting. Started back in the 90's when polyester was batting of choice for handwork, it has been stored away for years while I try to decide whether to take out all the stitching I've done & replace the batt with cotton or just continue. Continue is winning as I want to take it to demonstrate quilting at the library Saturday.

patty a. said...

The oldest quilt top that I have that I made is from the late 1970's. It is a very large log cabin in the barn raising pattern. Yes, I plan on finishing it - one of these days!

Chantal said...

Interesting basket in this quilt. Too bad for the fading. I would undo it too. Don't know what shiva sticks are but I wouldn't be interested in "painting" all that fabric. My oldest project is an applique from 1986. I started it before I knew what quilting was all about. I don't even know if I can finish it because if I remember correctly, I had cut the squares wrong. Haha! Inexperience is costly. ;^)

ShinyNewThing said...

It drives me crazy when I can't find things, such a waste of time and energy looking for them. Sorry about your binding. I've finished up a lot of my really old quilting UFOS but I have some ancient PIGS dating back to when I started quilting about 25 years ago. I still hope to get to them one day, lol.

Molly Mandeville Fryer said...

You’ll be so proud of it when you finish! And so smart of you to reveal your plans to your readers—they will help keep you on track! ❤️