Judy L's UFO Challenge

Friday, January 23, 2015

On the Needles (hook) - January 23, 2015

I inherited three afghan UFOs when my mother passed a year and a half ago.  One was for my Dad.  I finished it enough that he got to use it before his passing.  I still have ends to tie in.  There was a baby afghan.  I completely finished that one.  I kept it and use it to get a hug from my mother from time to time.

This is the third afghan.  She had almost completed one of the strips that you see on the left.  She had completed all the pink clusters for the centers if the granny squares and put the next row on a few then finished a single square.  This, along with the pattern gave me enough information to know which pattern from the booklet she was following.

I have completed all the pieces and am now in the process of assembling the granny square borders and tying in ends.  I am about to finish the third border and will likely complete the fourth border today. I am tying a few ends as I go but will probably finish most of it once the top is complete.  There are two rounds to crochet once the top is assembled.

There was not enough of the pink or off whit yarn from her stash.  I found close enough matches to continue on.  Anyone that notices the mismatch has too much time on their hands!  You now know what I have been doing with my time rather than quilting.

I am linking up with Judy L at Patchworktimes.








7 comments:

cityquilter grace said...

how lovely to have those items to comfort you....

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

that is so neat to have these things of your mother's that you are able to finish. I too have things here and there scattered throughout my house that had been in my mom's apartment and in her and dad's house when he was alive too. They do give comfort - it is so nice to walk by something and remember some memory that goes with it.

Dar said...

Pretty afghan. So nice to have something both you and your mother have worked on. It will be a nice remembrance of her.

Judy S. said...

Nice memories!That 3rd afghan is gorgeous. I still have some of mom's fabric and buttons and you're right about the memories.

ShinyNewThing said...

You are multi-talented! Very pretty too I have a similar afghan which was made for me as a wedding present. I also have a miniature version in one of my dollshouse rooms.

Cher said...

how fun to see you finish your mom's crocheting! My mom was the same, though her favorite was a ripple pattern. I gave one of her almost finished ones to a sister in law who also crocheted. She had learned from my mom, so it was a good idea.
Nice to have such a tangible memory of your mom to enjoy.

Linda said...

Looks good. I love it that you are finishing up your Mom's UFO's and it is so wonderful to see them up close.