Judy L's UFO Challenge

Saturday, May 23, 2015

Chalk Outline at a Crime Scene?

Nope.  It's just me being silly.  I laid out my pieced border.  More designing will be needed after I get the center and the inner border done.  What I have planned will not have those corners touching as shown in the picture.

Intrigued?  Stay tuned!

I hope you get to play this weekend.  Take pause to remember our fallen soldiers.



Thursday, May 21, 2015

Pinwheel Progress

All the pinwheels are made.  A plan has been hatched.  Need 12 of these units.  Next step is to work on my pieced outer border using the components from the blocks shown here.  I'd like to get this topped right away but I'm not sure I have the fabric I need for the inner border.  Darn.  I have to fabric shop!



Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Do Any of these Scream NO?

Do any of these greens stand out too much from the others?  I can stay with the four I already have or add some or all of the three greens on the right.  I i love auditioning with the camera.  I'll be working on the QSTS units for awhile to determine how many half and full pinwheels I need.  I really hope I don't need more QSTs.  Why oh why didn't I make notes???




Pfefferneuse Up Next


Remember Orca Bay?  I was gifted so many pieces and parts for that quilt.  When I finished the second quilt top I had hundreds of QSTs leftover.  I sat and thought about what to do with them.  I don't recall how I happened upon the Pfefferneuse quilt but decided that was where those extra pieces would go.

I looked at the quilt picture and counted how many broken dish units I would need.  I had a good number but not enough.  I created the 4 unit pieces you see here.  I think there are 84 or 88 of them.  At some point I realized my broken dish units were much smaller than what Bonnie's pattern balled for.  Because of this I probably have many more than her quilt calls for.  Remember my purpose was to use up the spare units I already had.

While I was making the broken dishes I began thinking about what color pinwheels I wanted.  I originally thought red but didn't have enough of the shade I was looking for.  As I look at this quilt I can't help but think of starlight candies.  I googled them and was surprised to see they come in a rainbow of colors.  I began selecting those colors but just was not in love with that idea.  I came upon a green in my stash that I loved.  Alas I did not have enough.  I should have shopped for similar shades but did not.  Rather than look through my stash and pull greens I just went to the store and bought three different greens.  I was going to use just one but have now cut from all three and even pulled a piece from mom's stash and have included it.  As I type this I know I have another green that will work and will throw it in.  They are all the same color green but have different patterns to add to the visual texture.

This quilt can be found in Bonnie Hunters "String Fling".  I am not making my pinwheels with strings.  The white in the pinwheel is all one fabric.  So off I go to make more pinwheels.  Be back with an update later this week.  My goal is to finish up all the pinwheels that I'm going to need.




Sunday, May 17, 2015

Lazy Sunday Finished on a Lazy Sunday

Ready for quilting!  Onto the next project.
 


Sunday, May 10, 2015

Design Wall Monday - May 11, 2015

Oh my....more decisions.  I've cut up all my blue batik into 2" strips already.  Whatever the decision I am going to have to piece fabric.  In my mind I think I have eliminated option 3 below.  I am leaning more toward option 1.  What do you think?

I am linking up to Patchworktimes.  For more design walls click here.

Option 1:


Option 2:


Option 3:


Hugs,

Swooze



Wednesday, April 29, 2015

More Grand Illusion and Lazy Sunday

I've been doing a bit of frogging since I last blogged.  You can look at my last post about Grand Illusion and see that the borders are attached wrong.  2 have the pink facing out and 2 have the pink facing in.  An eagle eye at my church sewing group noticed it as soon as I held it up to share.  Everyone said leave it as a design element.  I just couldn't.  All fixed.  No new photo to share.

A few days before that as I was working on the pieced border for Lazy Sunday I had a realization.  Four of the pink, orange and turquoise blocks have one corner that is made with green.  I hoped that I had placed them correctly before I lay out the rows.  It would have to be total luck.  Argh!  Two were in the right position but rotated.  Two were not.  I ripped out the 6 offending blocks from the top and corrected everything.  Onward progress.

I chose my colors for my border and completed the first two.  I attached them and lay it on the ground.  I was shocked at the sharp contrast and wasn't really thrilled with it.  All the fabrics in the border are also in the body of the quilt.  I guess the coolness of the blues make my background appear whiter while the warm colors more beige.

I made plans to take them off then put slab borders on with the warm colors.  I posted on Facebook and had enough feedback suggesting I move forward.  Even to add one of the warm colors as a final border.


Here is a close up of my chosen fabric for that suggestion.


Another shot a little farther away.  I am going ahead with this plan.  I coincidently saw an Orca Bay quilt on Bonnie Hunters blog that had a very similar effect.  It just serves as an interesting, eye catching frame.  I have all the pieces for the remaining sides of the pieced border sewn and just need to chain them together.  Also, serendipitously, I had miscut my inner border too wide the first time.  Turns out I am using those strips for my outer border.



Hugs!!!

Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Mystery No More


Well it hasn't been a mystery since January 1st but now I know what MY quilt looks like.  One more good pressing then it will be added to my flimsy pile.