A very productive weekend!
I went to JoAnn's to buy more cotton thread. They were having a 50% off sale on thread for two days. The first store I went to did not have the grey I wanted so I went to a second store Friday night. They didn't have the grey but had a neutral. As I was checking out with my thread I saw a flier on the counter. It had 2 coupons, one for 50% off a cut of fabric and one for 40% off any regular priced item. I took it with me and started calculating my backing needs for my remaining UFOs. I intended to go back and shop for backings on Saturday since that was the expiration date on the coupons.
Saturday I got up and went about my day. I took the last two dogs to the vet. 1 ear infection and 1 well dog. Both got their vaccines so no return visits for them. I got my chores under way and then ended back in bed with a sore back and heating pad. When I got up everyone was hungry so I took care of feeding them. I can't really recall what I did the rest of the day but did wait until just before 8 to go back to JoAnns. They close at 9. I got up there and found a backing for my Simple Simon. I had navy in mind and found a nice navy with tan paisley. Very old fashioned looking. Just what I wanted! I had a fall leaf pattern in mind for the backing of my Chain of Events. I looked but this is the wrong time of year for that fabric. Hubby found an orange that had an all over leaf pattern. I went with that but am not sure I will stay with it. I found a great green for my Irish Chain but needed 9 yards and they only had 6. I was tempted to buy it and then try to find the other 3 yards I needed at another store. I decided not to risk trying to match dye lots. So I have two more backings now and only need two more.
Sunday I got up and finally put cutter to fabric. I have all my borders cut for my Irish Chain. I will have to piece them then cut them to length once I press the top. I also cut the sashing for my 12 Days top after squaring up my blocks. These blocks are from an exchange and one of them is 12 inches square when the rest are 12.5. I couldn't cut them all to 12" since some were pieced and it wouldn't have worked. I am thinking of trimming the 12" block even further and adding 2 strips to give it an attic windows effect. Of course now I have to find the fabric to do it with first. And people want to know why I have UFOs?? In spite of this teeny setback I did add sashing to the blocks that were correctly sized and have two of the three rows pieced together. I have started sewing the long sashing strips to these rows as well and have one more I can add before I have to deal with that naughty block. I could have sewn that one on but the kids were clamoring for my attention so I shut down for the night.Doggy update:
Two healthy dogs. 1 with an ear infection but he has meds. I give drops twice a day and he is somewhat cooperative about this since he gets a nice long rub on his ears which then leads to the rest of him. 2 have been wormed. Vet says we will have to redose in 4 months so I guess I can count them as healthy. 2 have kennel cough and have finished their antibiotics. The puppy still has a snotty nose so he gets another course of antibiotics. We have not seen Pepper's nose run but we can hear the congestion rattling in her head. She hardly eats and was up coughing all night. The vet considered giving her a steroid shot the first visit but due to the other dogs in the house was hesitant to do so. Now that he has seen all of them and knows what we are dealing with he is giving her a shot this afternoon along with another course of antibiotics. The steroids should help her bounce back quickly. We hope so. I have never felt so sorry for a dog before. Not sleeping or eating well. Mpre to come!