This is the fourth quilt I have assembled for the quiltvillehearts yahoogroup. I was a recipient of one of their lovely quilts. This one will be mailed off in the coming days to the quilter for the finishing touches and then sent off to the intended recipient.
I am not sure why but I LOVE red for the borders of these quilts. One other that I assembled had a blue Hawaaiin shirt border. Was going for the print but rest assured if I had found a 100% cotton red Hawaaiin shirt it would have been on that quilt. One other just did not want red no matter how hard I tried. It got a bright pink border. I guess I really like red huh?
When I assemble these I normally work on a row at a time. I decided to have a little fun and sewed 80 blocks into 40 pairs into 20 quads into 10 rows of 8. At this point the rows were attached to one another at the mid point. I laid it out on the bed and pinned it in a few places then sat down with it and finished pinning it working with halves of the quilt at a time. It went together quickly. I quickly added the borders the next day since I was on a sewing high.
Friday night I sewed with the girls at the church. I was attaching wings to the string blocks. These units are shown in a previous post. 60 are done with 68 to go. I have wings attached to 48 of those. I'm working on chunks at a time rather than assembly line sewing everything at once. I find I learn little things on the way and do a better job on subsequent blocks. I just want to get these units done so I can LAY THEM OUT!!