My goal to finish this quilt is almost met. I just have to finish quilting the side borders and bind it. I think I can get this done since it's a little one at 38x48. If I can get the binding made and sewn on Sunday I should be able to get it tacked down by Monday...gulp.... It could happen!
I've finished another quilt on my Avante. I tried more complex things. I had tension issues. I got some learning in.
I only basted the top edge. I didn't have issues with the other three sides. I free handed a wave design across the top and down the sides as I went. At first I was quilting the center then the sides. At some point I quilted the sides then center. I made it work but will try not to repeat that error.
I was pretty consistent down the sides until I got to the end. I wasn't feeling my best and my corners ended weird. I drew it out but it just didn't work. I'll try turning it next time so the side borders are at top and bottom. I need to take a small step back until I've had more practice.
Someone suggested I make my loops bigger. I like how they look but I get bored quickly! I'll work it out.
Finally I need to pay closer attention when winding my bobbin. The thread slipped out of the tension discs. I think this was the root of my tension issues.
I was gifted a baggy of squares. I picked out the pink and the black and decided to make 4patches. I have wanted to make a 4 or 9 patch on point quilt so here was my opportunity. Now I am trying to choose a color for the alternate blocks. The fabric is not necessarily what I will use (it's clothing in some cases) but is meant to nudge me in the right direction. What color do you like host? Should I try others?
I have managed to set and meet a goal for three months in a row participating in this challenge. I have decided to quilt a top I made as the ones I've quilted so far were pieced by others for Project Linus. This may very well go there as well unless someone determines a better destination. So will quilt and bind this by end of month.
I have had my Avante for two months now. I played on her for probably 6 weeks. Here are some pics if my work. The first shows working on a pantograph. Too rigid for me but I'll try again someday.
This is some of the ideas I saw elsewhere and ideas of my own that I toyed with.
Mire doodling playing with hearts and leaves and vines and stars.
I took my practice quilt off the frame and loaded my first quilt. I started to baste it and hit the leader knocking the basket out that holds the bobbin. I was stuck until I could get someone to come look at it or I could take it to someone. My salesperson was in France so I asked someone in town to help me out. We made arrangements for them to teach us how to re-time the machine. They came over and had us fixed up lickety split.
I loaded the first quilt which I blogged about previously. Here it is again.
I am pleased with the outcome but definitely needed to relearn some things. I took the quilt to Wattafind in Mesquite and Jaqueline helped me figure out what I was doing wrong. She explained some things and suggested some others. Based on my blog I also got suggestions from Glen of Quikts and Dogs on some things to try. With this new knowledge in my head I quilted this.
I am happier with this outcome. Still lots of learning ahead. I have another quilt loaded that I will use the same thread on then will be changing thread colors. That in itself may present a whole new set of learnings. Will report back on my adventures.