Judy L's UFO Challenge

Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Super Sized Nine Patch

I made three of these little gems several years back.  A year or two ago my friend Laurie quilted them all for me.  I made binding for all of them several weeks ago and attached it to one of them.  I was experimenting with machine binding the quilt.  I made good progress but never good enough to satisfy me.  I will try again in the future but for now I hand tacked the binding to the back.  It was a nice little travelling project.  I will be binding the other two over the coming weeks between other things.

This is a McCalls pattern and the pattern can be found here.






















2 comments:

Rhonda said...

I'm a machine binding girl myself just because I do not like hand sewing!! You go girl!

ShinyNewThing said...

I've tried machine binding a couple of times but been really unhappy with the random nature of the end result. Either you fold it onto the front and stitch a line that then doesn't hit the seam on the back, or do some messy decorative stitch that leaves bits of the binding sticking up. Or you fold it to the back and stitch in the ditch from the front, resulting in a seam line that may or may not hit the binding folded to the back, and certainly not in a consistently parallel way. So I'm a hand stitcher, sew it on the front, fold to the back, and applique it down for a consistent width and neat invisibly stitched finish.