Judy L's UFO Challenge

Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Double Wedding Ring Quilts

I think I own every single pattern and template there is to make a Double Wedding Ring quilt. I was driven by my mothers desire to own one. Ultimately, I bought an antique one and gifted it to her. She passed four years ago and that quilt is now in my collection.

In November of 2012 I pulled out a Double Wedding Ring quilt UFO that I bought at a garage sale and asked Mom to pick out the hideous purple pieces that were used as the background. She happily did so and sadly I came down with some sort of flu so we didn't spend much time together. At the time I did not know this would be the last project she and I would work on together before she passed the following May.

This is the background.

Here are my choices for a replacement. Preferences?




Here are all the choices together. Which do you prefer?


I bought the Accuquilt GO die. I hope the pieces are the same size. Will report back but help me choose first!

Hugs,

Swooze

6 comments:

Becky said...

In the bottom picture, use the one on the far left. Your darkest one. Your quilt needs the contrast.

patty a. said...

I have a double wedding ring quilt I am remaking for an acquaintance. Oh, what did I get myself into! I have to take it apart and remake it. This must have been one of the last ones her grandmother hand piece because the workmanship is pretty bad. The friend showed me another double wedding ring quilt her grandmother had done and it was beautifully made. Of the three choices, I like the lightest one on the right. I think the two other fabrics blend in too much and you get a better contrast with the darker colors in the ring fabric with the lightest fabric. Whichever fabric you pick it will be better than that purple fabric!

Barb said...

What a wonderful quilt to redo, not that redoing is fun but the memory of your mom...that is special.

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

Oh, see I like the on on the right.....light.....to me, more traditional

I have a DWR half made in my closet, it made it through the flood. Light batiks. Carrie asked me about it recently and I was shocked she remembered I even had it.

If I like her (sheesh) I would et it out and finish it for her for Christmas.

Unknown said...

I like the one on the right that you posted first! Seeing your quilts always reminds me of my grandma. I have some beautiful ones that she made

ShinyNewThing said...

Lol, snap, I have several books and a few template sets as well for DWR and have never made one, too intimidated. Love the 30s fabrics in your rescue quilt, that's what I would use for mine if I ever made one. Luckily I own a nice one which was handmade by a dear friend who has since left us. You've been really busy and I have extreme Handiquilter envy as I soldier on with my budget frame.