Judy L's UFO Challenge

Monday, July 16, 2007




Wow! Where Have I Been? To be honest I am overwhelmed with a lot of things. Last Sunday I had to take hubby to the ER with hiccups. He had them for almost a week and was so weakened by them that he started having breathing troubles. Too add to this poor sleep and almost not eating anything. In addition he had aggravated his knee the week before and it was just becoming worse and worse. They got rid of the hiccups in the ER only to have them come back a few minutes after we left there. The "fix" was Haldol in the ER and Thorazine at home. These are both "psych" drugs. They knocked him for a loop and made him extremely low functioning. He was so bad that I asked permission to either work from home or take leave of absence last week. Boss allowed me to work. It is really hard to be a caretaker. I admire all those that do this full time. To add to all this my son, who is a type 1 diabetic, had a touch of the flu. When it rains it pours.

On the work front it is mid year and that means appraisal writing time. I tried to do that from home last week buit with conference calls and caring for others it just was not possible to complete. Plus I had an overdue proposal to complete. I stayed up until after 11:00 p.m. and got that one done last night. I will have to concentrate and get these appraisals done this week since I have to get them all administered this week.

Then on the crafty front, I have many things I owe. Let me just call them overdue. I spent all weekend working to get a round robin done and to get the prep work done on a second round robin. Here are the fruits of my labor. Scroll through the pictures to see more detail. The picture in this post is the completed RR. Lot's of hand work on this one. The second one is paper piecing. I haven't done this before but have found lot's of great tutorials. Now to get the RR off in the mail.

On a fun note. I joined up for a White Elephant exchange on the Stashbuster yahoo group. I had a moment of regret at first since I felt it was a waste of money from the perspective of the shipping and return of contents in the box. I got the box over the weekend and boy was I pleasantly surprised. There was lots of nice things in there. I chose 6 items that I really liked. Now I have to find at least 6 things to place in the box and send it on to the next person. Assume that a pattern costs $9. I got more than my money's worth. Fun, fun, fun! PLUS! I tracked down Sharon-UK in Oregon and we had a nice chat! She is such a sweetie! Love that gal!

10 comments:

Sweet P said...

Ugh! I can't imagine having hiccups for a week. I hope your DH is feeling better.

The White Elephant exchange sounds like a lot of fun. I should have signed up for it.

Lelainia N. Lloyd said...

Sorry that things have been so rough on the home front. You are right-being a caretaker is pretty taxing.

I hope you can sneak an hour or so for yourself. Grab a magazine you haven't had time to read and go to Starbucks. Get a big cup of whatever you love and just sit there. Enjoy your drink, read you magazine and just breathe!

It's amazing what an hour spent that way can do.

saphirz said...

4 words apply right now "Calgon take me away".

Hugs to you, you have had quite the week. Hope everything gets better for this week and in coming weeks.Hope your DH is much better do they know why its happening? And your son gets over the flu fast, I know how that can mess up diabetics levels. Yes caregiving can tax spirit and soul.From experence I know.
Take a deep breath, do something for an hour for your self wheather it be a bath in bubble bath or just quiet time with out phones and all that demanding stuff. Every thing and everyone can be put on hold for 1 hour.
Your round robin looks really great glad you had time to work on that.

Saphirz

Kim said...

Hope everyone is feeling better at your home and you get some time for YOU! Remember the care givers usually end up sick themselves for running themselves ragged taking care of others....hang in there kiddo

Andrea said...

Poor you ! Like you say - everything comes at once. Hope everyone gets better soon - I hate hiccupping - even a short bout leaves me exhausted ! Take care !

Jen in KS said...

I feel for you about being a caretaker. My father stayed with me and dh for his last month on hospice. I'm not a mom, either, so caring for someone else was an awakening.

I can't wait to finish my Belitta Mitts (which you mentioned on my blog). I started them in a looming class, but then my dad went on hospice and I set them aside. I haven't gotten back to them since.

Jo Raines said...

Bless your heart--it has poured for you, hasn't it?! My DH gets hiccups that won't go away but luckily not for an entire week. Hope things settle down for you a bit before long.

Molly Mandeville Fryer said...

Bless your heart! I take care of 80 year old mother so know what you mean. The White Elephant exchange sounds like a blast--I wish I had done that. Maybe next time.

Quilter Kathy said...

Oh my...what a time you've had! Hope your DH and son are both on the road to recovery. And that you can find some time for your own rejuvenation.

ShinyNewThing said...

Hey I'm famous! Thanks for giving me a mention. Got back to the UK yesterday (and all my shopping came back with me, yay!) but still heavily jet-lagged, woke up at 2:30 a.m. last night and couldn't get back to sleep. I'm trying to finish Harry Potter before ds comes back tomorrow from the grandparents and claims the book for his own. Hope your family are improving, best wishes, Sharon