Judy L's UFO Challenge

Sunday, May 22, 2022

Paducah part 1

I left Texas back on April 22nd heading for Paducah, KY.  Sharon, from https://too-many-hobbies.blogspot.com/, had asked me earlier in the year if I would be attending the AQS show in Paducah.      Ray and I had been discussing vacation plans previously.  We discussed a trip to California but with the rising gas prices we started thinking we should consider something closer.  

I pitched the idea to Ray after looking for camping facilities around Paducah.  We discussed what he would do while I was off playing with Sharon.  He agreed and the plan was set in motion.  I let Sharon know of our plans.  We discussed her planned itinerary and decided points where we could interact with one another.  We talked via FB messenger and zoom.  I shared weather reports with her up until near her departure.  There were weather concerns but luckily it wasn’t an issue.

Our departure was late that Friday.  We drove until we were too tired to continue.  We pulled off on a side road and just snoozed in the truck.  The following morning we got on the road bright and early.  We drove a few hours before stopping to gas up.  On the way out of the station the wind came up and blew my hair into my face and mouth.  Instead of STOPPING so that I could see I kept on walking and talking forgetting about the curb I had to step up on when going in.

I must have caught the edge with my heel.  My feet folded right under me and I went straight down on my knees.  It happened so fast I didn’t try to break my fall so no injuries to my arms, hands or wrists.  I have neuropathy so couldn’t really feel any pain but my body knew it hurt!  I limped back to the truck and we completed our journey.

I can make this story really long but I’ll just say I went to urgent care the next day.  Had X-rays, was diagnosed with a severe sprain and walked out with a boot.  My overall plans for the week with Sharon did not change.  The two things that did change were that Ray became my chauffeur everywhere I went and my time out and about was drastically shortened.



On Monday I met Sharon at Hancock of Paducah.  I was thrilled to finally meet her after “knowing” her since 2007.  I know she doesn’t like to publicly share her image in public.  Hope you don’t the smiley face 🙂 


In light of my injury we accelerated one plan and went to The National Quilt museum.  I loved their exhibits but especially enjoyed the Australian exhibit.  We also managed a visit to Hobby Lobby and a bite of lunch.  By squeezing this all into one day I was able to take Tuesday off for a rest before the show opening.


Sharon very generously gifted me with some teas and a few pieces of fabric.




I loved this welcome seen as we were driving around town.



I’ll share more about the show later this week



5 comments:

cityquilter grace said...

glad your blip wasn't worse...and nothing better than british bling! pea green here...would love to do paducah!

Janet O. said...

Oh, so sorry about this! At least it didn't halt your plans altogether, and yes, it could have been so much worse.
Sharon has a lovely smile! LOL Fun gifts she brought you.
Hope you heal quickly!!

patty a. said...

I am so sorry to read of your mishap! Geeze right when you have big plans! I am glad you were able to shift plans to accommodate your ankle injury. How long are you going to have to wear the boot?

Chookyblue...... said...

total bugger you hurt your ankle........so good to finally meet Sharon........lucky you could still do stuff at the exhibition......
Fancy an Australian exhibition.....nice..........

ShinyNewThing said...

I'm a pumpkin head ha ha ha!