Remember that bag of something I showed? That was a pieced backing that was made for a love quilt that the LAer rejected because it wasn't flat. She donated another and gave that one back to me. I have had it for at least 2 years now. In that time my scrap stash has grown and I have accumulated FQs with no real purpose in mind and no idea how I plan to use them.
I found this pattern at the Dallas show a few weeks ago and thought it would be perfect to use up scraps and FQs. I stripped down that backing and threw in some 30's FQs for additional variety and present to you a finished top. It finishes rather small at 31 x48. I will be adding borders to make it bigger. So far I have enough for 3 quilts of this size and there is enough for the borders as well. I consider my journey a sucess!
I finished the top. Thanks for another great pattern Judy Laquidara! I tried and tried to take a picture outside but the wind was not cooperating. That seems to happen a lot when I want to take pictures of my quilts.
Here is a close up. Everyone seems to think I used solids. This will be DS' birthday present this year.
Last weekend I was preparing to embark upon my venture into using my scraps and other cast offs to make a quilt. I readily go to the yardage in my stash to make something, usually resorting to a trip to the LQS because I don’t have that perfect match. I want to learn to make it work.
I went to my cutting board and cleared off a spot. I realized I needed to press the fabric and went to clear off the ironing board. In the process of doing that I spotted a pile of FQs and remembered that I had bought a box to put those in. I went and fetched that box and started loading the FQs into it. I decided to go through the stash cabinets to get more FQs.
While I was digging through there I found a piece of fabric I had been looking for. This also reminded me that there were two other pieces of fabric that I had been missing for close to 1.5 years. Back into the stash cabinets pulling FQs, finding asian prints that I wanted to put with the rest of my asian prints. I found one of the missing pieces of fabric. This spurred me to lift each pile on each shelf and go through it because I knew the other piece HAD to be in there somewhere even though I had been through this exercise before. I found it! I am so happy.
I look around and see that I have all these little stacks of things that I want to use soonish or pieces that I want to group with other pieces and so on and so forth. Because I have touched almost all my fabric again I remember what is in there and remember intended projects or remember a special piece of fabric I wanted to use one day once I found the perfect pattern. Now they are all fresh in my mind. My urge to go fabric shopping is suppressed because I have fresh projects at least in my mind. I have lots of STASH possibilities.
You can probably guess that I did not cut scraps nor cast offs. So this weekend I am preparing to embark upon my venture into using my scraps and other cast offs to make a quilt………
- Donation Baby Quilts (3) - topped - Daisy quilt - DONE - Quilt of Valor - complete 1/19 and donated
- Gavan's Blooming Ninepatch - DONE - Red, White and Black Spring Breeze - DONE - Asian Pinwheels for Darcy - in progress - It's a Wrap - topped - Daisy Star Quilt for Darcy - Split Decision in Red, White and Blue
- Poppy BQ - Dog Quilt in 30's - in progress - Pink and Brown Quilt
- Darcy's Batik quilt - ABANDONED - OU quilt - DONE - Golf quilt - DONE - Fuschia quilt - DONE - 6" patch OU baby quilt * - DONE - Quilt for Jim * - DONE