Judy L's UFO Challenge

Wednesday, February 08, 2012

A Fix Job

A coworker mentioned that she had received a quilt for her wedding. She told me that she had loved it to death and that it had a few loose seams. I told her that I would be happy to look at it to see if I could fix it. I imagined having to whip stitch a few places to help keep it together.

She brought it to me at the office and I opened it a little to take a peek. By all appearances it looked as though that was all it needed from the part I could see. Imagine my surprise when I opened it up to find that there were sections missing!























I mulled over in my mind how I was going to fix this thing. It certainly is a much larger job than I thought. I toyed with the idea of trying to whip stitch things in place. I even thought about moving sections from the edges into the center and replacing those pieces with new fabric. Then I gave myself a reality check. I knew I would not finish it if I tried to approach it in that manner.

I took pictures and showed them to my coworker. I told her it was in much worse condition than she described. I told her I wanted to remove the quilting. It is hand utility quilting. I then wanted to move patches from the edge into the center and put new pieces to replace those. She agreed to this approach. Now I will also have to quilt it again. Did I mention the backing needs repair too? It's ok. Another project to work on while I am away from my stash.

3 comments:

Impera Magna said...

Oh my goodness... what a project! How kind of you to tackle a job this big!

Saska said...

was this a hand-made quilt? You said "utility" quilting...so just wondered.

What fabric do you need to work on it? I'll send you some!

Linda said...

Wow, that's quite an undertaking...good luck and let me know if you need anything.