If you have read my blog for any length of time you will know that I am drawn to fixing textiles. I was at my church sew-in Friday and a lady teased me that I wouldn't know what do do with a new piece of fabric.
Last week a friend asked me to look at an afghan she had purchased at an estate sale. She had even located a matching skein of yarn. There were just a few seams that had come loose. I seamed them up and reinforced a few other spots. I regret not taking a picture. It is a beautiful piece of work and will be gifted to a friend of hers.
Next up, a neighbor had asked me shorten a pair of king size pillow cases to standard. I asked her to give me a case that is the size she wants. Well I misplaced these cases for quite some time. I am not even sure how long I have had them. I thought for sure I had returned them. She insisted I had not. She came down earlier today and on a whim I looked through a box I hadn't touched in some time. There they were. She was delighted and I was a bit embarrassed but relieved.
I went straight to work on them. I'm sharing my process in the event someone wants to do the same.
First I cut the case to be altered one inch longer than the target sized case.
Leaving it right side out I sewed an1/8th inch seam. I turned and pressed the seam.
Here I sewed a 1/4" inch seam although I had intended to sew a 1/2 inch. This isn't rocket science folks. I turned and pressed the new formed French seams. Voila! They are done and will be delivered tomorrow.
Another project that I have been working on is a shawl of a former coworker. She hag gotten it caught on something and tore a hole in it. It is thread crochet and the ripped portion was in the first 1/3rd of the body. No easy way to fix it. I used regular thread to catch the loose pieces and bind it together. I ended up using some DMC 12 thread as well which worked better. There was no way to make it match the rest if the shawl. I stabilized it and touched frayed spots with fray check. She is going to have to handle with great care going forward.
I noticed some if the fringe was broken and torn away. I removed a lot of bad thread but it seemed never ending. I finally stopped and knotted my replacement pieces and tied those into the existing pieces. It looks better but the thread seemed like it had rotted away. DMC 8 was used in this part. Usually I am quite proud of the work I did. I was not going to be happy with the outcome unless I had pulled it all out and reworked the entire thing. That was not going to happen. I hope she is satisfied with the outcome.
Up next is the baby quilt I showed you a few weeks ago. All the holes are patched and it is pin basted ready for quilting. I have my machine setup and ready to go tomorrow. Will be glad to get that one off my plate too.