I pieced my borders for Orca Bay over the weekend. I also cut my inner neutral border as well. I plan to get these borders on this week before I move back home!
My daughter came home last weekend. I had no idea she was coming back and I was completely surprised. My apartment has a revolving door of all her friends and their entourages. Hollie came to see us yesterday. She mentioned to me that she wanted to learn to crochet as a stress reliever. I told her I knew how to crochet and would be happy to teach her. I went digging in my things and found a hook and some yarn and got her started. I think this will be fun for her to do.
Head over to see Judy and what others have on their Design wall.
I finished the top. I have a quilting plan. When I get back to the house I will quilt it.
I had an apartment full of teenagers but no volunteers to hold the quilt for me. One of them had their three year old cousin with them. She enthusiastically accepted the job and I think she did a fabulous job!
I decided to stay with the original look of the quilt since I am supposedly only "fixing" it. I thought a total change was more of a tweak than I should do. I was out yesterday and bought a little more fabric and washed it as soon as I got home. I cut it up last night and started sewing. I should have acted this quickly on the rest of my stash!! LOL!
I am going to finish making the corners and have this round sewn onto the middle this weekend. I will then lay out the borders that were on it originally and see where I am at. I am very glad I took this apart down to the individual piece. It really is going together quite quickly!
Thanks to everyone that shared their ideas on how to finish the corners. I love options and was given lots to think about. I knew in my heart this was the way I should do the corners but my head wanted to see what else I could do!
With either option I have to buy more fabric. I could carry the diamonds from the side into the corners. Or I can make a square in a square and border it with the green. The green shown is not the one I would use.
Thoughts? Other suggestions? Scroll to the next post to see what the top looks like so far.
I got to sew more than usual this weekend. I sewed four hours Friday night and was able to get one of the side sections completely pieced and many components together for the other three side sections. I finished up the other three Sunday afternoon.
I thought this was a good stopping point since I have to decide what I want to do with the corners. I can continue into the corners with 4 more rust colored diamonds but I think I am going to sew a rust square in a square of the neutral. I will then border that with the green to add a little interest and carry the green a little more throughout the quilt.
Didn't feel like sewing but I did make myself layout some pieces so that I could at least play with it in my mind to figure out how I was going to make it work. If you look at the original, the outter diamonds are larger but there was nothing done to make these strips fit properly. They were just smushed together. I will be making a coping strip around the green center to make it fit properly.