Judy L's UFO Challenge

Tuesday, July 11, 2023

Cobbler’s Children

You know the story how the cobblers children don’t have shoes?  He was so busy making shoes for his customers he didn’t have time to make shoes for his family.

I found myself tightly ensconced in the role of a cobbler’s child.  I have time to repair quilts for others but not repair my own.  The very first quilt I made was given to my mother.  When it started to wear she put it away.  I inherited that quilt back when she passed away.  I always had intentions of fixing it but never seemed to get around to the task.

This past weekend I bundled it up and took it to the church.  I picked out all the quilting and hung it up to find the spots needing repair.  When you look at the picture you can see blue painters tape in two spots.  There are 5 spots in all.  Three need the seam resewn and the other two need a strip replaced.





















Now that I have it to this point it will be a lot easier to work on it.  I made all the rookie mistakes.  Sewed with a 5/8” seam, not enough quilting for the batting.  Maybe not all but I hope I’ve improved.  In the process of my ongoing stash organization I came across the matching fabric!  Serendipity.

What are you putting off doing for yourself that you readily do for others?  Time to make yourself a priority!

Happy quilting.

Swooze

6 comments:

cityquilter grace said...

yep we all do it...i had one as well that i severely procrastinated fixing but finally got it done...so much more fun to make something new.

patty a. said...

I usually put off my clothing repairs until I finally have to do them. I have a sock that needs a small hole fixed and it has been sitting for two weeks. I do have some clothing fixes for others that I have had a while. Need to get those done too. I will be good to get that quilt repaired.

Jocelyn said...

I have a quilt that I made for my son when he was about 7 or 8. This is the second time I need to repair it. I've taken out all the stitches and removed the backing. I do still have some of the fabric but the original is so faded. But I will try to repair it as best I can. When he got married his wife said he still slept with it every night. Touched this mothers heart!

Elle said...

I'm glad the time arrived to make this memory the #1 priority. Great progress!

Chookyblue...... said...

Because we are terrible at doing things for ourselves....... Doing it for everyone else first........ Glad you found some fabric...... How old is this quilt? Not sure I would want to unpick all the quilting........

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

Always good to repair a quilt that has meaning