Judy L's UFO Challenge

Friday, September 05, 2008

Machine Quilting After Hand Quilting I spent 2 solid months hand quilting my 7 Sisters. I learned a lot in the process about the technique and myself. I can be persistent. I stayed with this quilt and am so close to a finish. Goal setting was my friend in this case. I learned that I love hand work. I always did my binding by wrapping the back to the front but not anymore. I like the clean look of it sewn on by machine then hand tacked to the back. I am a convert. Now I look for things to work on by hand so that my t.v. time is not wasted completely. I may pull out UFOs from other techniques and get those finished up too. May...

When I sat down to quilt my Chain Events I decided to break it down into sections. I am amazed at how quickly everything went by machine. My free motion skills were still decent and I actually have improved. Amazingly this Queen size quilt is almost done. I decided to continue quilting a few "empty" spots. That will be completed tonight. I also hope to get the binding made and machined on tonight as well. I should easily be able to get the binding tacked down before the weekend is out as well.

Not sure where I am going with this post. I think the one thing is that I am learning to enjoy the process more. In the past if someone suggested I quilt more than I had already I would be upset because I felt I was done and I didn't want to think I wasn't and had to do more. Now I have an attitude of just go do it if it needs to be done. I know I will be glad I did.

Quilty Hugs!

5 comments:

Debi said...

I wish I enjoyed hand quilting. I guess I am so spoiled with having the quilting frame and it only taking about an hour to quilt a top. I admire you for doing all that hand quilting.

Anonymous said...

Good for you Swooze, you sound very self-satisfied, which is always a nice feeling. I am doing more of my pp mariner's compass...I do more unpicking than sewing sometimes I think.
cheers

Teresa said...

You are doing great with your quilting and I am like you in that I always try to have some handwork to do while watching a movie or tv. I want to thank you for reminding me about Golden Threads paper. I have a roll and forgot about it. I have been quilting Tess's quilt and having a hard time marking it, and when I read your post I grabbed my GT paper and ended up using that. I am not sure how you fastened the paper to the quilt before quilting, but I scotch taped mine and it worked like a charm...just don't put any tape where you will quilt.

Gizmo said...

Congratulations with your quilting.
I have left you an award over at my blog
http://www.gizmoquilts.blogspot.com/

Marla said...

I'm curious, when you machine quilt do you have a frame?