Judy L's UFO Challenge

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Someone Else's UFOs

Last year someone sent me two sets of blocks that were their UFOs. I had just finished all my UFOs and announced it on Stashbuster. I got an email from another member offering up her UFOs. I thought it would be fun to work on someone else's projects and accepted. That has not been the case to this point.

The first issue was deciding how to set them. The first set of blocks are mostly 30's prints. There are 11 18" blocks and then 3 that need one more border added. There is also a little pile of triangles to complete the pieced borders.

My first struggle was to decide how to set them. I have pieced 2 2x2 settings and plan to donate those as baby quilts. That left 6 blocks. I was going to do a 2x3 setting but saw that Debra is making quilts for homeless teens. I will make the 3 unfinished blocks 18" to match the rest and send them to her for her project.

The next challenge was what color to use to border them. I have a post for border auditioning and have finally decided what color I will use for the 2 quilts. I will have the same challenge for the 3 unfinished blocks when I get to them.

Last night I went into my sewing room and began working on the border. I have a strip for the border and am trying to determine how to get those triangles on in the correct position. I got one triangle sewn properly to one end and finally came to the realization that to get the correct position for the other triangle I will have to make an HST and sew that on separately. So I didn't physically accomplish much but I am over the hump so to speak and will be able to get the rest of the border done! I might be able to enjoy this now!

Just think. When I get these three mini-projects (from one UFO...sigh) complete I have another UFO awaiting my attention.

1 comment:

Heather said...

Keep up the good work! I am sure I could send you a few things too!! Just Kidding, I wouldn't do that to you.