Judy L's UFO Challenge

Friday, May 02, 2008

As the World Turns....or maybe the cookie crumbles... I know you all have been there done that on this. I have a deadline that I was allowed to slip 3 more days. I am doing a challenge and have to fussy cut the focus fabric and then cut my strips and subcuts from my other fabrics. I managed to fussy cut all my HSTs...only 36 of them. Then I took my background and proceeded to cut 36 HSTs from that as well.

My next step was to create a fussy little block that I call a square with wings. I was in my right mind and decided to make a test piece. I had seen several blog posts where people created a four patch and then they sliced through the middle of that. I thought perfect! That is just what I need. So I made the four patch and looked at it only to realize that wasn't exactly what I needed. So now here I am grumbling to myself...while also realizing....those 36 HSTs of my background....I didn't need those. Argh! I hope I don't run out of the background.

So, back to the drawing board. It turns out the focus fabric squares were the right size. I just needed to make the triangle a 1/4" larger so that they would form the seam allowance when I add it to my focus HST. I made another test piece and it turned out great! Then I sewed it to the focus HST. It looks really nice.

At this point I decide to make some notes of how many pieces of what I need to make, etc for my project. This always helps me jump in where I left off so I don't waste time milling about. When I got up this a.m. I decided to look at my plan and realized I had cut too many HSTs. At least it wasn't the other way around, too few. It also dawned on me to check those un-needed HSTs from my background to see if they would be the right size for my "wings" if I cut them in half. They are! Yeah! No waste!

I am back in the groove again. I just have to cut those background HSTs in half and then also cut 30 squares from my focus fabric. Sometimes when things don't seem to be going well....it's just a disguise!

3 comments:

Zegi said...

Hurray for no waste!

Quilter Kathy said...

That's amazing how it all worked out in the end!

Quilt crazy said...

Hi, can't find the email on how to switch to the new ring...I was in stashbusters and Quilting for fun. Would you please send me the ring number to convert... oregonquilt.blogspot.com

Thanks! Jeanne