Judy L's UFO Challenge

Sunday, February 12, 2017

Wanderlust is a Flimsy!

What's a flimsy? An unquilted top.

I've been piecing this quilt almost exclusively since December 1st. At first I was pushing,almost forcing, myself to keep going. Once I got the blocks done I said I was going to take a break from it. Next thing I knew I was making the border blocks and assembling those borders. I attached the borders today.

I took this class from Bonnie Hunter at Fabric Fanatics in Plano Texas at New Year's 2014. My mother had passed away seven months previous to this. When the fabric requirement email came out I decided I was going to make this quilt from my mothers stash. Everything except the black and orange batik came from her fabric. It include Christmas, pumpkins, batiks and Civil War plus many brights.

it was fun to sew with my mother again in a way. Can you believe this is mostly from her small pieces and scraps?


I'm linking up with Scraptastic Tuesday!

Swooze

6 comments:

patty a. said...

What a wonderful way to keep the memory of your Mom close to you by using her stash in this quilt. I also inherited my Mom's stash and would make a quilt every year for the Christmas Eve raffle of the quilt between the siblings. I still have a little bit of her fabric left - maybe enough for one more quilt with some of my fabric thrown in.

cityquilter grace said...

it's beautiful and what a lovely way to keep her close....

Nicky said...

What a fabulou idea! I have my mother's sewing machine and use it almost every day. It is good to keep our mother's close and I'm sure she would be pleased with this beauty. Thanks for linking up with #scraptastictuesday

Linda said...

This looks great. I'm glad you were able to sew with your Mom's fabric. Your Mom would love this. Bring it Friday and let me see the real thing. See you soon.

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

A great quilt! Lovely to be able to use your mum's stash in this, lots of thoughts as you sewed I'm sure.

Teresa Rawson said...

A beautiful and meaningful quilt...and I love that the colors are so brite. Now it will be like getting a hug from Mom every time you snuggle under it...