Judy L's UFO Challenge

Saturday, December 22, 2018

OMG Update

My goal this month was to make the 49 alternate blocks for a Double Irish Chain quilt. Back in October I bought a ziploc bag that had one block, lots of strip sets and some yardage for $2 from tbe guild table at the Canton, TX quilt show.


I knew there was an error somewhere but wasn’t quite sure what it was. I worked on the 25 patch blocks and got them all done. 50 in total. I looked at the remaining strip sets and saw the navy being used for the corners ofthe alternate blocks. I knew there wasn’t enough navy to make them so started shopping for a close match. I didn’t realize how hard navy is to match! I found something and bought it. It’s enough to make the back and borders too.

I sat down and cut the strip set for the alternate blocks, sewed one and layed it next to the 25 patch. There was the error! The corners should have been the print. I did have enough of that. I knew my background fabric was going to be clise to enough.

I cut all my strips and went to subcutting. Luckily my friend interrupted me because I had cut all the cuts a .5” short! Argh!! I cut the rest correctly and then unsewed some unused strip sets. Ultimately I got all the blocks made and only had 2 blocks I had to piece fabric for. I got lucky!

I sewed all the blocks into pairs and pairs into rows. Thursday I went to a sit and sew and decided I would pin the rows into pairs then work on something else. Before I knew it I was sewing all the rows together and had a completed center!


My goal was to get the alternate blocks done. I overachieved and have a complete center. Now to figure out next steps.

Linking up with Elm Street Quilts.

Do you want to hear more travel stories? Without comments it’s hard to know if you’re interested.

Swooze