Judy L's UFO Challenge

Sunday, December 16, 2018

Phoenix

When I was in ABQ posting about my trip to facebook my cousin in Phoenix asked me where I was going next. I did not answer her because I was on a secret mission! As you saw last time we did head to AZ but to the north.

In the pictures from my last post you could see the wide open spaces. At one point I caught Ray looking off in the distance. I asked him if he was out riding his horse across the open range. After a pause he said, wistfully, yeah. I told him me too! LOL

After leaving Williams we turned south toward Phoenix. We drove south through the Verde Valley. We would descend about 5000 feet in altitude over a 170 mile distance. It is hard to tell from the pictures but the roads were steep and winding. I was not super comfortable because in addition to that the sun was in our eyes as it was setting and there were signs to watch for elk all along the highway.




I had been to Phoenix before and remember my friend telling me about the Saguaro cactus. I knew to watch for it’s appearance. I was not disappointed as soon, they were everywhere you turned.

I had been to Sedona on that previous trip but we chose to continue on to Phoenix. If you get the chance to visit Sedona I highly recommend it.


Another beautiful desert sunset.


I did not recall seeing palm trees last time. They are everywhere! I just laughed upon seeing them. Not sure why I was so amused.


We found a Harley shop the next morning and they unloaded the bike for us. What an awesome service. Ray was going to try to find helpers and brought his ramp but I suggested we check out a shop. Working smarter not harder!


Happy biker! His helmet was in the truck and he put it on after this picture.


I had spent that morning setting up some meet ups. After unloading the bike we went back to the motel. An online quilting friend came and picked me up to go quilt shopping. We found a few shops and I found a few things I didn’t know I needed. She was driving so I was able to snap a closeup of this cactus that was in the median of a residential area.


My friend brought me back and Ray and I went to meet another friend I had first met in Phoenix many years ago. We had lunch and got caught up and reminisced about that previous visit

She invited us to go shooting with her. We happily accepted. I had never been to a shooting range before. It was quite the experience. I have shot guns before but never in an enclosed space. We shot for a bit and she took us back to our motel.

Remember the goals and secret mission thing? Well my goal (#2) was to surprise my Aunt Betty with a visit. I lied to my cousin and told her I needed her address to send a package. She gave it to me without question.

I texted her and let her know the package was going to be delivered and would she be home. She said she would.

We drove to her house and parked. I walked to the front door and called my cousin to ask if she had gotten the package. I heard her ask her daughter to check. When her daughter opened the door she was startled. I motioned her to not say anything and told her who I was. I asked her to take me to her mom.

When my cousin saw me she told me she had a feeling I was coming. I asked her to take me in to my aunt.

My aunt sat and stared for a minute. I heard her say my name as soon as she realized who I was. I had brought her the quilt below not knowing purple is her favorite color. We grew up in a dairy farm community and I told her the cow print was to remind her of home.

I had not seen her since my mother passed 5 years ago. I remember it was hard for her to travel then. My uncle, her brother, passed away earlier this year and she could not travel to his funeral. This was the reason it was so important to me to go see her. I felt her getting to see some extended family might bring her some happiness.

After talking with her and reaching out to some other family members so that she could get some news she wanted to hear, I went into the other room with my cousin to talk.
Of course we told all the old familiar stories. I said that I needed to go say goodbye to my aunt and started to cry.

It’s increasingly difficult to watch family members age and pass away. I have one other aunt still living. I am so happy that I have stayed in touch with them even after I moved away.


OK let’s end on a happy note. This is a golf car, not a cart. There is a suburb of Phoenix where these are street legal and you see them out driving in regular traffic. I was a little startled at first and was told that those that drive these are a little crazier than other drivers. You have to really watch for them because they dart out into traffic and assume they always have the right of way. Wow!


Swooze

No comments: