Judy L's UFO Challenge

Sunday, December 26, 2021

Design As You Go or Cobbling

With the main elements of my quilt complete I started designing the elements.  I decided on a window frame look and then placed the umbrella girls and small hankies.  I lay out a few strips to see where to go next.




Today I assembled more of the units.  I decided to frame the hankies to bring their size to match the umbrella ladies.  


I then joined all the side centers.  Before I left I auditioned the size of strip the will join the sides to the center.  My friend suggested a narrow border similar to what was used in the frame.  I felt it needed to be much larger and we agreed a 2” finished width would do the job.


I imagine giving the pieces a floating feel and I think the wider strip will achieve that.  There will be about a 5” slab border of the floral print.  I’d like to add 15” or so to the top and bottom.  I don’t want it to look like I just slapped it on after giving up!  No plans for heavy piecing.  We will see.  Stay tuned! 


4 comments:

Rhonda said...

Hi Swooze!!! I love your umbrella girls and those handkerchiefs.....very vintage looking.

Chookyblue...... said...

It's coming together......

cityquilter grace said...

looking good so far swooze!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

What pretty blocks