Judy L's UFO Challenge

Thursday, April 07, 2022

How Do You Work?

I am making a quilt from a Walmart project sheet.  I bought a “kit” from an estate sale.  The person bought all the called for fabric.  Unlike the other kit I made, I used all the “calledfor” fabric.  That means my quilt will look just like the picture.


I made a few changes.  First I decided to make fewer blocks to make it close to 60x80”.  Then, I changed up the instructions so that I could cut using the easy and companion angle rulers and strips.  Of course this changed the number of strips I needed to cut so I estimated the number of strips I would need and figured out the new piece count.  Using this information, I cut all the strips I thought I would need just to make the blocks.  I try to cut all the strips I’ll need even if making a scrappy quilt.

I started sewing the geese first.  While sewing them I realized I had only cut enough pieces for 80 geese, not the actual 160 that I needed.  Normally I would cut the rest and keep going.  I was so disheartened I made a single block.  Then I made two blocks, sewing and trimming the geese as I went.





In the process of cutting and sewing for a block at a time I cut the rest of the strips I needed.  Then I cut the rest of the pieces I needed.  I was 2 strips short and cut those eventually.

When I reached 10 blocks I got serious and finished making all the geese, trimming all the geese and began chain sewing.



In no time I had all 20 blocks sewn.  I had also figured the number of strips for the sashing and cut those during this process.  I have now pieced the horizontal sashes and will attach the vertical sashes to all the blocks.  I hope to have a completed top before the weekend is out.

How do you work?  Cut all the pieces, sew all the sub units, sew the blocks, and so on?  Do you cut a little sew a little?  Do you do as your spirit moves you in the moment?

Would ovevto hear from you. 

9 comments:

Janet O. said...

I'm probably in that last category--doing as the spirit moves me. :)
I have cut a whole quilt at once, and sometimes I decide I don't like it after making a few blocks. Other times I cut part of the quilt and make some of the units--then cut more when I run out. It really depends on my mood at the time.
You've done well getting this stitched up. I like the name, and now I want some chocolate mint--one of my favorite combinations.

patty a. said...

You made some great progress on this quilt. How I work depends on what I am making. For the chevron quilts I go thru the stack of fabric I picked and cut just what I need for the quilt. I may adjust the layout as fabric is cut.

Elle said...

I go with the wind....er...sew with the wind. I rarely cut an entire quilt although I do that on my last retreat!

I am not a scrap sewer and don't like orphan blocks. Usually I will cut some, sew some maybe 5-10 blocks at a time. That said, when I do Happy Blocks I cut for 30 blocks all at once and then sew them up. Usually takes 2-3hour for a top.

How is that for a muddy response?

Congrats on powering through!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Chantal said...

Great progress here, Suz. I have never cut an entire quilt from the start as I change my mind (or the quilt asks for something different) halfway through. Haha. Most of my quilts are scrappy and I usually don't know which scrap will be used. I haven't followed a pattern in such a long time. Maybe I should add one to my to-do list. ;^)

Chookyblue...... said...

I think I do a mix at times...... It's hard when you get started along the way...... I'm glad you continued as it looks good......

loulee said...

It really depends on my mood.

cityquilter grace said...

i get antsy to start sewing so i cut some, sew and then cut more...esp with scrappy quilts...nice blocks yours and coming along great!

ShinyNewThing said...

I don't enjoy making repetitive block quilts, but if I am making one then I usually cut and make one block first just to check the instructions and to check if I actually like the result. Then I probably cut out the whole quilt at once, apart from borders, so that I know I have enough fabric. Depending on the pattern I may make up block kits to sew a block at a time if I think chain piecing is going to get me confused on fabric placement. I never have a good result with flying geese so I usually make them oversize then trim.