Judy L's UFO Challenge

Monday, November 10, 2008

2009 is the Year of Stashbusting

In 2008 I worked hard to complete all of my UFOs and succeeded. Now I am concentrating on using up my stash. I bought the fabric with the intention to use it so now I need to get a plan for it. If you remember in an earlier post I mentioned that I made up kits. I am working through those at a good pace and hope to have all of them topped early in 2009.

As I have been working in my sewing room I see a piece of fabric that I have no specific plan for. I start to think about it and what sort of pattern I would like to use it with. I will start kitting up these projects as well as other projects that I have come across and shoot for having another 12 kits by the end of the year.

I am not going to be No Buy in 2009 but I will be selective buy. If I come across a fabric that I absolutely love I will make note of it and see if the shine goes away with time. If not I will buy that fabric later in the year. This was the case with the Fresh Squeezed line. I hungered for that fabric all year long and finally bought it in Houston.

If you have been doing the math I have talked about 24 kits so far. My plan is to end 2009 with no UFOs. I am not going to make many bed size quilts so I hope I can get these quilted up myself and not let them languish in a stack.

My ultimate goal is to make some decisions about fabric that I have had in my stash for a really long time and that has gone untouched. I need to decide if I will use it and how. This will be my opportunity to get rid of some of the sleeze as well. I would like to make my stash as current as possible so that I can turn new purchases over within a decent amount of time. I am thinking 5 years but that may be too aggressive. Definitely a work in progress.

What are you going to do to bust your stash in 2009?

4 comments:

Lori in South Dakota said...

Those are thought out goals, you've put a lot of thought into it.

Babs said...

So far my plan is for at least 1 UFO top a month and 1 top that is from stash. I plan to use December to make my plan of action.

*karendianne. said...

I enjoyed this post and noted the following, it really made me think: I start to think about it and what sort of pattern I would like to use it with.

Dig your thought process. *karendiannne.

Anonymous said...

I don't plan too far ahead because life is so hectic here, but when I do plan "stuff" to do I have a machine sewing project for at home and handsewing /crocheting/embroidering projects for the school room. This usually happens in the last week of the holidays when I am in a flat panic of what will I work on next!!!! I like to keep myself a bit occupied so I don't hover over the girls' work too much, but it needs to be something that I can put down in 2 seconds if they need help.
I don't have a lot of stash but I think I will have a go at a scrappy 1/2 square triangle since I have quite a few fat quarters and eigths.
When you say you make kits, do you mean you put the fabric and patterns in bags and put them in the cupboard to work on them as you get to them?
Cheers