Judy L's UFO Challenge

Thursday, November 06, 2008

Another Houston Story

Do you know that I speak French? I studied for 8 years and went to college for one semester in Neuchatel, Switzerland. My courses were all taught in French. That was the last year that I formally studied French (1983). To this day I will string sentences together in French to keep the practice and try to remember my vocabulary. I am always listening for folks with a French accent or that are speaking in French when I am in a public place. Depending on the moment I may attempt to use my French.

While in Houston I was standing in line waiting to pay for a few paper pieced patterns. I overheard the lady in line behind me speaking to the store owner and detected that French accent. When they finished their conversation I started making small talk about the show which led to my revelation that I spoke French at which point I began speaking to her in French. She complimented me on my French and my accent which only encouraged me to continue on. Another wonderful moment for me in Houston. I had two other opportunities but my nerve was lacking.

A Prize

I won a prize from this giveaway. It is a basket filled with lots of goodies that she also shared with her retreat friends. There are fabrics, pieces of wool, patterns, tea light and holder, candles, lotion and several baggies of Halloween treats including fudge, candy and tea bags. This was all contained inside a lovely basket.




Thanks for my prize Sandi. I love it!

4 comments:

tirane93 said...

quel cadeau précieux !

Babs said...

That's a great prize!

I should introduce you to my baby brother some time. He speaks fluent french. He spent 2 years in Geneva. All of my siblings speak a foreign language (1 speaks over 5!)and I have tried taking Spanish 3 times and failed miserably. I do however know a little sign language and they don't.

Danielle said...

Bonjour Swooze. I spoke french (canadian) as a child, but have lost almost all of it. I still catch the nouns and verbs, but I can't conjugate, and I never learned to spell most of it. Good for you for keeping up with it.

I love your UFO ticker. Would you mind if I imitated you? I'd love a visual reminder of what I've pledged to do in the coming year.

pwl said...

Bonjour Swooze. C'est une bonne chose de pratiquer le francais. :)