Judy L's UFO Challenge

Thursday, April 02, 2015

Grand Illusion Mystery Progress

This is the first Bonnie Hunter mystery that I sewed along with.  I have participated in three of her NYE mysteries that are held in Plano, TX.  I did make two Orca Bay quilts but the majority of that work was done by others and I assembled the tops.  I did do piecing on each of them though.

While I am thinking over the borders of Lazy Sunday I decided to keep sewing on something and this was it.  I am only making 12 of the blocks.  I guesstimated that I would make a third of the quilt size.  As a result I guesstimated that I would need about a third of the required yardage as well.  The only one that I guesstimated correctly was the yellow.  I bought this fabric back when the fabric requirements were released.  

I was working at a rather leisurely pace and it started to dawn on me that I was going to run out of fabric.  Oh NO!!  I calculated the number of units I was able to make out of each strip or strip set, then I started cutting the number of strips I would need to determine what I was short on.  I ran to the store and found four of the five fabrics.  I knew what was needed for three of them.  I guessed on one of them.  I'll have to track the last one down and figure out what is required.

Here is what its looking like.



3 comments:

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

Love your fabrics, especially that WoW. Good luck on finding that last fabric. I can't wait to see more of this quilt.

Susan In Texas said...

Looks great; I think this quilt looks better non-scrappy like yours. I'm doing mine scrappy and it is a little wild. I am doing all the blocks and will start on clue 4 very soon.

I really love your Lazy Sunday. It's just gorgeous. I think it will be terrific with any of the border colors you have shown.

It's time for some Dear Jane blocks. Naturally since we're planning a trip and I would like to bring along some handwork, most of the upcoming blocks are paper-pieced. lol That's always how it seems to work out. I may have to jump around some after all.

Take care,
Susan in Texas

Marti said...

Your quilt looks great. I hate when I run out of fabric, especially when it's in a quilt that needs to be the same. I hope you can find more of the one you need. And thank you for visiting my blog too.