Judy L's UFO Challenge

Thursday, October 15, 2020

6 x 12

The title... 6x12 failed me.  Last week I was preparing to go out of town so I didn’t have time to work physically on my quilt.  I did work on it mentally.  I actually tried to find my sketch to see where I went wrong but when it wasn’t in an obvious place I just started a new sketch to determine the fix.  Luckily I developed a new plan quickly!

Of course once I figured it out I still really wanted to see my original plan to figure out where I went wrong.  I finished getting ready for my trip and resumed my search.  I found it!  It took less than a minute to see where I went wrong!  6 x 12 is NOT 60!  I think I made my usual mistake which is to think through things in my head with incorrect facts in my head.  I think I thought I had 5 12” stars when it was 6.

So easy fix right?  Rip off one star row which puts me at the 60” I originally worked with.  Of course knowing this now my redesign would have been different!  And I will end up with fodder for another quilt or two.  Ah well.  I’ll get back to it this weekend.

Let me tell you about my trip.  We went to Beavers Bend State Park in Oklahoma.  Weeks ago we started looking at the weather in combination with scheduled doctors appointments and a bank holiday.  Everything looked like it lined up well.  Maybe one rain day so we planned it!  We went from Thursday the 8th through Tuesday the 13th.

I had relaxing and being on my mind for this trip.  Ray had fishing on his mind.  We did both!  We spent a lot of time driving around town and through the park looking at the sites and planning activities for the weekend.  What better place to start than at the park information center?  We picked up a few maps and asked questions.  

While there I noticed a museum and decided to walk through.  It’s main focus was trees and their history.  There were dioramas behind glass with a recording talking about what was shown.  The main thing that I took away was that trees in the beginning formation of the world would grow and then fall over because there was not anything for the roots to anchor into.  This occurred repeatedly and is how dirt and the earths layers were formed.  Ferns were the only “trees” that survived the ice age.  Wow.  I love science!

There were photography exhibits, wood working, an old cabin, chainsaw exhibit, forest ranger statue and tower.  Some of the dioramas talked about the beginning of logging and the almost immediate recognition of the need for conservation.  The impact of people on the forest and nature on the people was portrayed throughout.  The number of products we use everyday that come from trees is many.  We would be hard pressed if we lost this resource.

I’ll leave you with some pictures and a promise to talk more about my trip in another post.












































Have you managed any getaways this year?  It’s a little tricky but possible!


Swooze







3 comments:

patty a. said...

I am glad you had a wonderful trip with no health incident! You were due! I have not had any getaways this year. Usually I travel mostly day trips with my nephew's band, but since those type of events are cancelled I just stay home.

cityquilter grace said...

interesting post...there is so much fascinating stuff we hardly ever get to know....my ancestors were in lumbering, had a mill, back in the late 18th and early 19th centuries...got to see one of their ledgers at the library...written in their hand with quill and ink...talked about who brought the logs, what kind they were, how they were to be cut and what was the disposition...some went on board ships for other locales...glad you had a good time!

Chantal said...

Wow! These pictures talk loudly. Very impressive. Thanks for taking me on the tour. Loved it. Happy that all went well for you. ;^)