Judy L's UFO Challenge

Friday, October 02, 2020

The Great Stash Migration of 2020



When I was satisfied with the touch ups in my stash room I started moving in.  My fathers desk is in there and will eventually be my work surface for my GO cutter and stash management.  As of now I’m stacking my project boxes there as I encounter them.

Anyone that has organized knows that the mess seams much worse at first.  I’m in that place but working as quickly as possible so that improvement starts showing very soon!  I’m being flexible in my plan.  When I started my goal was to get rid of all the totes (blanket boxes) but I’m starting to think I might have to put “collections” in some of them if I run out of room on my racks.

What collections do you separate from your main stash?  I have plaids, Halloween, patriotic, batiks and civil war and 30s repro’s.  Within my regular stash I am separating out neutrals, backings and may separate non-white backgrounds.

I will have kits and precuts that I’ll have to store too.  I do have stash cabinets in my sewing room so once I unbox everything there’ll be a little shuffling.  I know there will be lots of things to store that I didn’t think about.

My goal is to get through all the totes with fabric (I’ve already found non fabric items in some) before I go out of town next week.  Yes a mini vacation.  Will be taking my boot to wear when I’m out on uneven ground.  Ray has plans to get me in a canoe 👀.  Will report back on how it goes...if it goes!

If you’re interested in coming over to help let me know!  What organization do you have going on?




4 comments:

Bonnie said...

Hum... you asked so here are the fabrics I have as special collections.... Christmas, batiks, homespun, wide backings, and two or three items I got as kits but didn’t use for the intended project but I wanted to keep them together. I gave away my Civil War because I didn’t particularly like them. I have mostly got stacks for each color. But I have a whole shelf of what I call multi colored prints. That includes the patriotic and Halloween. I don’t have much in Patriotic and Halloween. Kudos to you for tackling this organization.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Stash organization - whew - what a HUGE topic. Here is a link to the progression of my studio spaces - https://quiltdivajulie.blogspot.com/p/inside-my-studio.html - there are bound to be a few images or thoughts in there somewhere that could be of use to you (either that you love or don't like at all). I sort primarily by color without regard to type of fabric. I have recently sorted all the Kaffe collective fabrics onto their own shelves since I have several mostly-Kaffe quilts that I want to make but once those are made the remaining Kaffe fabrics will go back into their color families with the rest of the stash. I don't use pre cuts so I can't help you on that. You might also want to visit Bonnie Hunter's blog as she has been moving her enormous stash from her "old" house to the new house and the Quiltville Post Office near Quiltville Inn. She's had several posts on sorting and restocking and organizing her fabrics. GOOD LUCK! (and when I did my big re-org several years back there was one corner designated for comfort quilt fabrics - either that I would make or that the yardage would be donated to those who wanted to make comfort quilts - I know you make a lot of those so maybe you don't need that as much as I did).

Chantal said...

Stash organization is a PIGS, lol. I don't have collections of fabric. I was given or won some bundle of fat quarter that are still together and I will try to keep them together. The rest is just stored by colour. I have too many plastic containers (margarine tubs actually) with scraps of all colours or half projects. My goal (started in 2019 when I got the new cabinets) is to go through all of these tubs and clean them out. I have to say that I have lost momentum but I am still marching on. Good luck with your project and enjoy the vacation. Don't forget the boot. We need to take care of ourselves because nobody else will. ;^)

patty a. said...

It sounds like you are making progress! I have the majority of my fabric sorted by color, but then I have my specialty piles - novelty prints, fabrics with skulls, music fabric, hand dyes, flannel, backing, linen, African, stripes and polka dots, and solids. In bins I have my vintage scraps, vintage yardage, silks, wool, and then 7 to 9 bins of scraps sorted by color. Gosh, when I type all that I don't need anymore fabric! LOL!!

Have a wonderful vacation and stay safe!