Judy L's UFO Challenge

Sunday, December 13, 2020

Need Some Focus

I can’t help but think about the many things I want to work on.  “One” of those things is to dig into scraps and use them.  I’ve talked to several people about how they decide to cut up their scraps.  I do follow Bonnie Hunters techniques but really don’t want to cut everything down just yet.  I’ve made her last two mysteries by dipping into my scraps, then stash to make them.  

I haven’t started Grassy Creek yet but I think I will start soon.  I also picked three other quilts I want to make from my scraps and thought about sorting through and pulling for those quilts as I go.  In the process of choosing I realized that Jamestown Landing is a broken dishes pattern so will mishmash my pieces into a Jamestown like setting.

I make these decisions then waste time on lots of other things.  That’s why I’m glad I started doing One Monthly Goal again.  It keeps me moving forward.  I decided to sew the flange down on my pillowcases.  I tested a few designs and chose one last night.  That will go quickly.  

Yesterday I was at church and cut the final border for my split decision quilt.  I decided to continue cutting instead of sewing it on.















I have enough extra to make a pillow case to go along with this one.  Win!

Then I selected and attached the next borders on my camper quilt.  Just have to cut and attach the last border.















Good progress on my OMG goal.  I have 4 sew dates planned before the end of the year so should be able to finish everything!

How are you doing with your sewing goals?  Linking up with Love Laugh Quilt for Monday Making.

3 comments:

Lilac Joan said...

Sometimes when I cut scraps for a quilt I will find another quilt I want to make and cut the pieces for that quilt too. Do not know if it saves time, but that way I have one big mess and two quilt possibilities!

patty a. said...

I know how hard it can be to focus. It seems I work hard everyday, but I just can't get stuff done fast enough so I can move on to the next project. You know what I am doing with my scraps. I will be making a lot of baby quilts - 16 patch, 9 patch, 4 patch - to put a dent in my scraps. Looks like you made good progress on both of those tops.

cityquilter grace said...

most anything that is smaller than 1/4 yard gets cut up into scraps but not as many sizes as bonnie hunter does...evn so there are still some small pieces in the regular stash...it's whatever makes it easier to use...