All hail the King. The king log cabin quilt that is. When I put it down it only lacked the borders. I cut those and sewed them on without too much trouble. It just took several days to complete as I had limited time to work on it. While I was working on this someone mentioned pieced backings on the yahoogroup stashbuster. When I saw how much fabric I had left over from making the top I decided I would make a pieced backing for this quilt. I cut 20.5" blocks from the dark fabrics and searched my stash for a light to use since I did not have any of that left. I cut blocks from that as well. To make the most of the fabric I had I did cut a few 10.5" x 20.5" wide pieces that I then pieced into a 20.5" block.
I spent several nights piecing the blocks into rows and then sewed all the rows into a 120" square backing. That is 10 feet square! That is huge. I had quite a few logistical problems working on this quilt. No good place or way to press the seams or lay it out for a picture! I had planned to hang it outside on our fence this morning. By the time I found the string to hang it from and got everything together it had started to rain. I decided I would just throw it on my queen size bed and snap a few pictures. They are not the best but you will get the idea.
The quilt top and backing is all boxed up now and ready to be sent off to my friend Beth in MD. She has agreed to quilt it for me. I just cannot imagine quilting this one myself!
I have already pulled out my next 2 UFOs to work on. One is the Peacock. Go to my links and click on "my pictures". You will see it there in the UFO folder. I hope to have it quilted in the next 2 weeks. I need to get it done to avoid being Queen of the UFO challengers! I also pulled out the Lavendar and Green Irish Chain. I need to cut most of the pieces for that quilt. I thought it would be good to stand and cut when I got tired of sitting and sewing.