Judy L's UFO Challenge

Wednesday, September 05, 2007

The 300 Pound Gorilla in my house. I have not blogged about this before but may have hinted at it a bit. It is depressing so just feel free to pass this by.

In 1990 my husband had donated blood while in college. We got a notice from them that my husband was deferred. He had Hepatitis C. We didn't really understand the impact at the time and I am not sure we did anything about it at the time. I think we may have heard there really wasn't a cure or that is was only 50% effective at the time.

Fast forward 10 years to 1998. My husband had blood in his urine. We went to a urologist and they did surgery. They pushed us to go to a gastroenterologist about the Hep C so we did. He went and had a liver biopsy. Diagnosed with cirrhosis. They talked about varicies and wanted to do an endoscope and banding. Hubby declined that procedure. We went to the gastroenterologist to see about treatment for the Hep C. They told us the process and said they were now seeing about a 66% cure rate. Hubby decided that he didn't have time to devote to a year long treatment that would have meant weekly doc visits and lab work.

Let me add as an aside that my dh does not have the best oral hygiene. He goes to the dentist when there is a problem only which usually includes pain. I tried repeatedly to get him in to the dentist for cleanings. While having the other issues addressed they did tell him he had gum disease and would need planing and scaling. Let me tell you, this did not happen.

Along with this lovely issue my hubby has a bad right knee. Over the course of many years since the early 90's until nine he had 6 arthroscopic surgeries to fix meniscus tears. He got to the point where there was no meniscus left. He began courting orthopedic doctors to find one that would do a knee replacement on him since he was so young. A little over two years ago he found one and got his knee replacement. He was told he would need to get his teeth taken care of as the infection could spread to the joint. More unheeded advice.

Hubby made it almost a year in good shape. The knee felt great. He felt great. Good mobility. One day he hopped out of bed and looked down to see a very swollen knee. We went over and over in our minds as to what happened. We could find no good answer. My husband developed a lump on the side of his knee. He went to the family doc and he checked that bump. There was some dry skin there and the doc knocked it off while examining him to expose a sac that had formed. He sent dh straight to the hospital and put him on antibiotics. They cultured it but didn't find anything. The spot responded and went away.

Somehow the message was lost on dh that he needed to be seen by an infectious disease doctor. Long story short(er) the spot came back, we went to the infectious disease doc and they ordered surgery to have a port inserted in his chest. He was then placed on mega antiobiotics. Much of this runs together but the port was removed and the problem recurred.

Back to the ortho doc and he decided to open up the knee, remove the spacer and clean it out. Once that was done they put him on antibiotics to try to kill any infection there might be. The doctor didn't see anything in the joint to indicate infection. As a precaution we did the port again and the mega antibiotics. As soon as he was off our friendly little lump came back.

This time the infectious disease doc opened the wound and encouraged dh to keep it open so it could heal from inside out. They also placed him on an oral antibiotic to be taken daily for the rest of his life. They were suppressing the infection. This started late last year.

Last summer dh went to Baylor to work with the liver transplant team and go through the process of being placed on the list. He was given some things to address and he addressed those. In the meantime they monitored his MELD score and we watched it go up and down with each course of lab work. This score determines your placement on the list and how ill you are.

While going through all this dh was fired from his job. To tell you how bad he is he was declared disabled and now draws social security disability.

This past summer dh was driving and slammed on the brake. Not much longer after this the knee swelled again. Went to the ortho. Ortho told him he had osteolysis which means the bone was growing away from the knee replacement. He wanted to do another surgery but wanted dh to be cleared by the transplant team. We had not heard much from the team until this point except for the letter ordering tests and then the results letter. We went and met the new hepatologist. He had lab work just before we saw her. While we were sitting there she got his labs. His MELD was now a 20 and their sickest person was a 22. She had a lot of questions about his knee and the meds. We had been providing all these details as we are required to do. She told him he needed to get his teeth cleaned immediately to clear the infection. She presented his case and came back to tell us that he would need to have his right leg amputated above the knee since the infection could not be cleared. Both of these need to get him listed and get a liver.

I called our dentist and desparately begged them to take care of him. They did not have room in their schedule. They referred us to an endontist. I called and explained the situation to them. They said their computer was down and they could not help us for a few days until it was resolved. I got a call back almost immediately. The dentist said get him in the next day. We were there with bells on. They did their assessment but could not clean since they needed more info from the transplant team. We went back the next day and had half his mouth done. He has two more appointments and will be done on the 10th. He has to have two teeth pulled as well. Two weeks later the dentist will clear him of infection in his mouth.

We saw the vascular surgeon yesterday. We were resigned to the need for the amputation. Our orthopedic went to bat for us but the hepatologist didn't think we could wait (what have we been doing all this time?). He asked us for the history of the situation. We told him and he asked if we didn't think this was a bit extreme and that he didn't want to do it. We said yes we don't want to either. This doc is going to go to the transplant team and go to bat for us to see if they can try the alternative out orthopedic gave which was to take the hardware out, place a spacer, clear the infection. Get the transplant. Then when he was well enough redo the knee replacement.

I cannot tell you the stress I have been under. There is so much more to this story. I will share more as I know it. Not blogging this topic has kept me from blogging at all. I had to tell about it so I can get on with my blogging.

If you have read this far please collect your gold star! Thanks for listening.

32 comments:

maggiegracecreates said...

SWOOZE - I AM A FIRST TIME READER TODAY .i LINKED OVER FROM TATTERED EDGE. AS QUICK AS I STARTED READING, I LIFTED YOU AND YOURS IN PRAYER. I WILL BE BACK TO CHECK IN
- PRAYERS AND BEST WISHES. TERESA

Debi said...

Swooze, I am giving you a very big hug. I am so sorry for what you and your family is going through. If you ever need to talk or vent, just give me a jingle.

Laurie Ann said...

Oh Swooze, that's a large load to be carrying!! I am keeping you and your husband in my prayers.
(hugs)

loulee said...

Hi Swooze, another first time reader popping up to offer my best wishes to you both. I hope things start going right for you some time soon. You did right to unload, it's not good for you to keep all of that stuff in.
((Hugs)) for you both.

Lisa said...

I am so glad that you decided to write about this! It's important talk about such huge things. It can't be easy to just be you and your husband these days...
You'll be in my thoughts. Let us know how everything develops. My hopes are for best case scenario - I know hep-C can be awful. We'll keep reading.(((hugs)))know we're thinking of you.

Anonymous said...

Swooze
I read your blog regularly while my girls are doing school and was wondering why you had not been blogging. I feel for you and your husband and I agree with the comments above, you must unburden your mind and share your troubles.
Thinking of you from Australia
Eva

Floss said...

I think its good that you decided to write about this, it does you good to share, even if there's not much any of can do to help except listen (read)
Hugs
Floss

Sweet P said...

Swooze, hugs and prayers coming from me to you and your family. Please keep us posted on your DH. We're here if there is anything you need.

Jenna Z said...

My goodness, I am sending warm heeling thoughts to you and your husband. This is going to sound terrible but I am going to have my husband read your story because I am sure something almost exactly like this is going to happen to him, right down to the need for planing and scaling. Thank you for writing this!

KimT said...

wow, i am sorry about these challenges. I will keep you in my thoughts

Cherold said...

Swooze, you are in my thoughts and prayers...have also put both you and your husband on my daughter's church prayer list...many, many prayers are winging their way to God for you.

CheriS

Leah Spencer said...

Wow... what an emotional roller coaster you've been on. I hope the end of this ride is soon in sight for you!!

Paula, the quilter said...

O Swooze. My heart aches for you but having a place to vent and cry and tell people is a lot better than keeping it bottled up inside. My CarGuy is also disabled but it was due to an injury at work. He is now home full time after years of drs and surgeries. Granted not like your situation exactly but similar. You take care of yourself because you and dh will need your strength.

Kim said...

Oh my such a heavy burden to bear- you and your dh are in my thoughts and prayers.

Andrea said...

What an awful time you are both having. I really hope you get the answers you are looking for ! Very best wishes xx

Quilter Kathy said...

OH my goodness...you must be so stressed out. So much uncertainty and doctors and waiting...yuck.
Take care of yourself. Sending you big cyberhugs.

Helen in the UK said...

My goodness you and DH have been/are going through the mill at the moment. Hope the new plan of medical action is successful. Take care :)

Julia said...

This is my first visit to your blog, as with everyone else, I agree that you need to unburden yourself or your health will fail also. We are hear to listen and offer support and prayers. Keep us up to date and know that I will pray for both you and your DH.

Anonymous said...

this is my first visit to your blog and I'm so glad you have told your story. It's not good to keep it inside you. Take care of yourself too. Sending you cyber hugs

Diane said...

(((hugs)))

Anonymous said...

Swooze, I am glad you unburdened yourself. I will be thinking of you.

Kathy in MD (Stashbusters)

saphirz said...

Swooze, I feel your emotions and frustrations, and the pain this is all causing in your family. 7 years ago I was in the same place as you. If you ever need a shoulder to cry on or advice or any thing just let me know. I know the road you are having to go down and the frustrations that you will be coming up against in the future with the hep C. and not just the hep c but the cirrhosis.
Be strong and take care of your self, if you need to take time for your self dont feel you are being selfish. To beable to take care of your dh in the future expecially if he gets a transplant you will need all your health and strenght.

I know this was very hard and very brave of you to write on this blog. I'm glad to see all the support from the fellow bloggers as what you have had here.

I truly hope he is able to get on the transplant list. Make your dh follow all and every instruction so they will put him on the list.
It seems pretty drastic to take off his leg but they do have very stringent rules and criteria they have to follow to qualify a person for the list sadly. You might also look in to getting into one of the research programs held in the different states.
You and your family are in my thougths and prayers.
from me to you a tight hug.
let your self cry if you need.

Meredith said...

I will pray for you both. I understand your hesistation to dicuss personal matters on your blog and I respect that. I read the entire post and I want you to know you are not alone. Hugs

Anonymous said...

That's a huge load for anyone to carry, Suzette. I have gone through much of the same scenario with my own husband. When will men ever learn? I hope and pray he will be spared the amputation. Please keep us posted.
Love, Lois from Meg's Board

sewkalico said...

Another first time reader wishing you lots of strength to cope with all of this. You are very brave to blog it and so wonderful to see all the support that we would all like to offer you.

Beth said...

Oh I'm SO glad you shared! If I had not had an outlet when my husband was deployed, I think I would have exploded! You blog away ..we are more than happy to listen!

Anonymous said...

Oh my God, Such a story! I am giving you a big hug. I think I came upon this blog through stashbusters group. I don't post there too much.
You and dh are so brave! It is horrible to be in the "machine" like that.
Hugs to you!
Mary

Marla said...

Sharing is difficult when it is so personal but so empowering and offers such relief. I'm so sorry to hear of your difficulties but sharing with us in blog land can be a way to help lighten the load. We are all out here pulling for you and your husband. I hope that knowing our support is out here will help to soften the stress you are feeling. Big hugs!!! Take one day at a time.

Jeanne said...

I'm so sorry for the all the health trouble you and DH have endured. I'm sending hugs and will keep you both in my prayers. I'm glad you felt you could share with us.

Greenmare said...

oh you poor thing! Good that you started to let it out, it helps so much and look at all these people praying for and caring about you!
count me in!

LynnS said...

Swooze, Thank you for sharing your situation here, otherwise we would never know about all that you are coping with! My heart and my prayers go out to you, your husband, and your children as all of you face these difficult medical problems. I know 4 people who have received liver transplants -- each obtained a better quality of life afterwards. These issues are difficult for both the patient and the spouse (and entire family). Stay hopeful, trust in God, and be kind to yourself.

cityquilter grace said...

swooze, read your blog very sporadically but my heart goes out to you and the stresses you are experiencing. take it from one who knows, life can be super challenging. i don't have medical issues but plenty others. somehow it's worse when it's somebody else, not you that is going through this. i pray you get some answers and your husband gets better, even if it's slowly, on his current course. sometimes when i am overwhelmed, i just read the psalms for comfort, to hear David cry out in anguish the way I feel sometimes..no religious affiliation, just a suggestion.