Judy L's UFO Challenge

Tuesday, February 05, 2008

I'm a Quilting Machine Sunday I went into quilt my Simple Simon with the intent to get through a quarter of the quilt. In about 5 hours I got half way through. Last night I decided I would quilt for about an hour and stop. One and a half hours later I am more than 3/4's of the way through. I decided to forge on and a little over 2 hours last night and I am done! I can't believe it! This all on my Janome 6500.


Now I am looking at the picture trying to decide if I should quilt it edge to edge through the center of the white diamonds. What do you think?

Binding decision. You can see the navy blue backing I used. I am leaning toward a red binding. Was thinking a red check since there are so many checks already in the quilt. Let me know what you think!


One final note. My back and neck are protesting a little this a.m. Boy this quilting stuff is hard on a girl! :D

11 comments:

Marlene said...

I'm sure your backing fabric will make a nice binding, I kind of like that blue or green check too.

Marlene said...

I forgot to mention, my sister lives in Mesquite. She has 3 daughters, one in college, 2 in high school. They attend Mesquite High School.

Debi said...

Great job, and I bet it feels great to have it finished. The fabrics are wonderful in this quilt.

Mary Johnson said...

It looks great! I do the same thing - tell myself I'll just work for an hour and then keep going - I get lots done that way.

I can't tell for sure from the photo but it looks like you could go either way - quilting in the white or just leaving it. I would tend NOT to do it unless the quilt seems to pucker out when it's laid out.

Anonymous said...

Swooze!!!! How great is that quilt!!! I wouldn't quilt though the white diamonds and I quite like the idea of the green check as a binding, but it is hard to know the true colours from a photo, and I am quite partial to soft greens ;).
Cheers
Eva
Who went walking this morning and lifted weights.

Anonymous said...

I forgot to ask - can you please post a "full quilt" photo, I love it.
Eva

Quilter Kathy said...

I think a white quilted line across the diamonds would be great!
And a red check for the binding is perfect! Way to go!

Marla said...

Good for you! Don'tcha just love your 6500! I have the 6600 and wouldn't trade it for the world (they're nearly the same machine) Do you know how to do a yoga stretch for your back??? It helps immensely

SuBee said...

I have to go for the red check - I think that would look super!
I have to make a conscious effort when quilting, and talk out loud to myself -- "DROP YOUR SHOULDERS, DROP YOUR SHOULDERS" over and over - it really helps. We don't even notice how our shoulders tend to hunch up - that's what's hurting us so much.
I have the 6500 too -- soon to trade for the 6600. Great machines!

ShinyNewThing said...

I think doing the white diamonds might be overkill. Diane Gaudynski comments in her book on the people she sees in classes all hunched up with their elbows in the air, your chair should be high enough that your elbows are parallel to the table and your shoulders can relax.

Floss said...

I think the quilting looks great, I would not add more to the white. I also think the red checked border would work well.