Judy L's UFO Challenge

Sunday, April 01, 2018

April OMG

I am stickng with my plan to use one of my 12 quilts I’d like to finish this year as my One Monthly Goal. This quilt will be gifted to my boyfriend’s nephew.

When Ray’s dad was in the hospital in 2015 we made the long drive to Michigan in hopes that we would get to see his dad one more time. I had had the good fortune to have met Paul on several occasions. We even became phone friends and spoke to one another almost weekly. Up until that time I had mainly met Ray’s siblings. I met a few nieces that happened to be at his sisters house when we were there previously.

We arrived at the hospital and spoke with his Dad and visited with his sister. Ray and I were exhausted from the drive so they made up the couches in his Dads room for us to get much needed sleep. The next day more family began trickling in. One of his nephews really stood out to me. Jason. He treated me like everyone else making sure to include me in conversation. It didn’t matter to him that he didn’t know me. He treated me with the utmost respect. He stood watch at his grandfathers side. When other family members needed to leave to get rest or go home for whatever reason Jason stayed there. He never left. He has a caretakers heart. He was the one with his grandfather when he passed. I was very impressed with this young man.

While in Michigan I asked if I could get a few of Paul’s shirts. I was going to make quilts forom them and give one to Ray’s sister. She gave me what she had and mentioned that they held bad memories due to Pauls previous living arrangement. That broke my heart a little knowing that she may appreciate the gift of a quilt but the items used to represent him would not. I talked to Ray about it. I mentioned Jason and that I’d like to make the quilt for him. He loved the idea.

My goal is to quilt it by the end of the month. When I post my finish I wll tell you more.


Are you participating in OMG? It’s fun! I hope you will.

Linking up with Elm Street Quilts.

Swooze







4 comments:

patty a. said...

I am not participating in the OMG since I seem to be jumping around with what I am working on this year. I still have a bunch of clothing from my Dad I still need to turn into quilts for my siblings. Too much to do! It's good you found out who would like to have a quilt made with the shirts. I will be rooting for you to get it finished this month!

Patty said...

Lovely quilt. Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and good luck with your project.

make.share.give said...

That's the perfect pattern for this project.

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

I am hopeful that the book will show up one day. I have a feeling that the fabric post card I mailed the same day did not make it either.......