Judy L's UFO Challenge

Sunday, August 05, 2018

Lynn’s Repaired Quilt

Here is #6 from my 3Q FAL list. I just pulled it from it’s spin through a wash and dry.

Here is the before.



The quilt had been repaired previously. The sides had been rolled up and sewn down and even then were damaged again. You can see most of the damage is to the green fabric. The back had damage too.

I took it apart. Cut away the ties. Picked out the straight line stitching. I found a very thick batting. I wasn’t sure of its makeup. It felt like cotton but then it didn’t. I talked to several people and they speculated it could be wool. I took it to my LQS and showed it to one of the ladies there. We pulled it apart and decided it was actually a cotton batting and a poly batting layered on top.

I replaced all the green fabric. I replaced the borders using some of the backing and the new green. The binding was also taken from the backing.

Other than the green I added, the blocks were repaired with parts from the back and the original border. Even then there were small tears in many places. I used a combination of fusible interfacing and zig zag stitching in matching thread. There is a new back and 2 new battings.

Hey, this thing saw 40 years of heavy use. I think it has at least another 10.



I finally asked Lynn what this quilt meant to him. He told me he had been a long haul driver and took it with him everywhere. I asked who gave it to him and he told me it was his 5th wife. I must have made a face because later our mutual friend said “Don’t worry, she was one of his favorites.”

It was a lot of work but Lynn’s happiness makes it worth it. I started this project on May 22nd and put the final stitches in it yesterday.

Here’s the happy customer!


Happy quilting!

Swooze

3 comments:

Chantal said...

This is truly #alaboroflove. Excellent job Swooze. He looks so happy. Congratulations on this wonderful repair. ;^)

patty a. said...

That was a lot of work, but the happy face had to make it worth it! Good job on persevering and getting it done. I will think of you for inspiration as I work on my big renovation quilt project!

ctnbee said...

Wow, wow! I do not even know what to write! Great job. It's good that you took a picture before. Now you can see a big difference! Your job is great. I like to visit your blog. Many interesting news I can read it.