Judy L's UFO Challenge

Friday, May 11, 2007

Stashbuster Topic of the Week. Do you follow a pattern or do you make it up as you go along? I am one of those people that follows a pattern to the T. Anytime I have tried to make up something I have anguished over it. I think I am concerned that it will not be "right". I am not sure where that feeling comes from. I have made several objects, not quilts, where I have had to make things up as I went. Let me tell you I drove my poor friends crazy asking them if what I was doing ok. I see some lovely quilts and I know I could mimick what I see. When it comes right down to it, though, I seek out and purchase the pattern and use it....I want it be to be right after all.

5 comments:

Leigh said...

I am so glad to hear someone else is the same.
I think its a confidence thing as I'm sure you could do it.
Part of the fun is ogling the pattern and reading it over and over though don't you think.

Nana's Quilts said...

I really need to pattern, at least for a starting point. I might be really brave and change the color or change the order or direction, but I need some sort of beginning. Here's to us!
Marne

Unknown said...

I fall in love with the quilt in the pattern or book. I want mine to turn out exactly like the one I see. I do like scrap quilts though and mine turn out different in color than the original but I always use the directions as they are printed. I'm glad too that there are more than one of us that likes it this way!

flippytale Quilter (Christine) said...

I am terrible at following directions. It sometimes gets me into trouble elsewhere, but helps with my creative process when I am quilting. I can look a block, redraft it, what ever and wing it the rest of the way. I let the quilt speak to me as I go.

Don't worry, I won't tell the Quilt Police where you live so you can throw out the rules too! Common, try it!

Although, a pattern is good once in awhile, it is good to let someone else "drive" for a bit. Then I can enjoy just cutting and sewing.

Greenmare said...

I'm glad you came up with this topic, it's so interesting to read everyones philosopy on patterns! When are you going to "go for it" with your crazy quilt? I saw one once that was just breathtaking, and the story behind it was awesome. This woman did it on an ocean voyage to Europe and back in the 1800's!