Judy L's UFO Challenge

Monday, July 16, 2018

Fourth Finish for Q3

I finished the fourth item on my Q3 FAL list.


This Happy Block quilt is made from my boyfriends Dad’s shirts and then the boyfriends things, my daughters jeans are in there and some garage sale finds. I used widely spaced straight line quilting with a heart in the upper right of the quilt.

Beyond the obvious symbolism of the clothing use and the heart there is more. Ray’s dad Paul was a WWII vet. There is patriotic fabric in the backing. Paul was known for his barn building. When I talked with many family members the stories of them helping him build were many. The binding and the rest of the backing is red barn wood.

I included a piece from my daughters jeans because I wanted the dragonfly. Do you know the story of the dragonfly? You’ll find it here. Finally on the back I placed the label which contains a photo of Paul, his son Pat and then Pat’s sons Jason and Jeremiah. Jason will be the recipient of this quilt.

When Ray and I made the long journey to Michigan to be at Paul’s side Jason was right there soon after we arrived and never left until Paul had passed. Jason showed me such kindness and talked with me with such sincerity. I saw how Pauls passing effected him.

I originally offered to make this quilt for Rays sister. She declined for a few reasons. I talked it over with Ray and told him I felt Jason should be the recipient and he agreed.

This quilt holds a lot of emotion and I hope Jason will appreciate it.

Swooze

2 comments:

patty a. said...

I can't keep up with all your finished! Congratulations on getting another one done. I really like the pattern and the meaning behind all of those fabrics makes this a very precious quilt. I am sure Jason will treasure it.

Moira said...

Congrats on the finish! Love the meaning behind all you did on this one.