Judy L's UFO Challenge

Sunday, January 24, 2021

Design As I Go

Back in November Shelly at Prairie Moon quilts issued a studio organizing challenge.  It was to work on a languishing project.  I have one of those!  I was in the process of shuffling stuff so I had to find the one I had in mind.  I had to design a border as I felt it needed one.  I had to find the matching background fabric and the batiks that matched the top.  It took me until this past week to accomplish all those things so I was able to start executing as well!

The pattern is called Dizzy.  I modified it a little to change the way the spirals turned.



I knew I wanted to do a Greek key like border.  I tried sketching some overly complex things then decided to simplify.  Alycia posted about her quilt which spurred me to keep going.  Here is what I came up with.


I know I’ll have to make adjustments to the spacing.  I want the corners to all look the same so will work toward the middles and figure it out.  I cut some strips and started sewing and auditioning.



The edge pieces were all mixed together rather than grouping color.  I was surprised how green the border looked in the first picture.  I turned the quilt to put the purple swirl next to the border and it took on the purple color.  Interesting!  A little more sewing to create additional border pieces then I’ll start building the borders to attach.

Come back soon.  I have another project I’ll want your input on the design!

Happy quilting.

3 comments:

patty a. said...

Love that border you designed! The way you mixed up the colors too looks so good! Good job!

Elle said...

Nice work! Love the creative border decision.

cityquilter grace said...

oooh i like this swooze!