Judy L's UFO Challenge

Monday, January 25, 2021

Design Input Needed

My friend Glen made this amazing animal quilt!  


It’s all Drunkards Path blocks.  I asked another friend if she had the Accuquilt die for that shape and she did and lent it to me.  I went and bought a variety of grunge fabrics to try and recreate some of these blocks.  

I cut out a bunch of blocks from the different colors and started with the lobster.  In my world I’m calling it a crawdad.  Then I made the turtle.  Somewhere in the process of being inspired I decided to also make a fish.  I was going to create a wall quilt with these to represent an aquarium scene.

Before the fish was created I stalled out.  I have no idea why.  In the process of gathering, sorting and shuffling my stuff and projects it entered my mind to work on again.  I think you can tell I create tops pretty quickly and wanted something to slow me down a little.  I took it to church and finished my fish block then assembled the three blocks to this point.



I cut a silvery gray to represent aquarium sides.  I cut it to the height you see here and stopped before applying it.  I have some decisions to make.  I want it to look like an aquarium and had thought I’d add fabric that represented walls and if I did that I’d want to extend the aquarium wall higher to be realistic to represent that gap between the top of the water and the top of the aquarium..  I’ll be adding black at the bottom to represent the aquarium bottom.  If I add walls do I add a table?  Do I just go straight across or try to be artsy and make it look like it’s sitting on a round table with a rounded edge?

It’s not going to be entered to win a prize.  It’s to represent a happy moment in my family’s life.  What are your thoughts and ideas?  I’m going to have to lay it out with my other fabrics to get a better idea of what a simple approach will look like.  No plans for appliqué but there will be embroidered elements.


It’s been fun to play with it again.  Thoughts and ideas please!  Linking up with Small Quilts Design Wall Monday.

2 comments:

Chantal said...

Lovely projects. I'm sewing curves too. If you make the aquarium like the real thing, a table would be nice. That means you will also need a background beyond the aquarium because I presume the table will be larger than the aquarium? This is getting to be quite the project. My suggestion is to draw your ideas out on a piece of paper and then decide how many details you want in the quilt. Looking forward to it grow. ;^)

patty a. said...

I agree with Chantal - draw out some ideas on paper. The other thing depends on how big you want this to be.