Judy L's UFO Challenge

Wednesday, November 28, 2007

I got the 411 OK I have more information. So let me share and then also answer some questions.

I did take the day off today. While I do qualify for FMLA I also have no savings since it was wiped out when dh lost his job so hate to take unpaid leave. Plus I work unbelievable hours so they should be able to give me a few days off with pay. I only have 4 vacation days and I do hope to spend time with my kids at Christmas time.

They did call and ask about the insulin. I thought we agreed I would not bring it. When I got there they wanted it. It seems that there are so many insulins that are similar. They worked it out...I think. They are not giving him his regular dosages then act surprised that his sugar is high....duh! They finally put him back on his dosing tonight. We will see how that goes.

DH was taking other meds at home. When we filled out the paperwork we disclosed all the meds and dosages. I asked the nurse about them today and she had a surprised look. She mumbled that he should probably take them and quickly left more or less indicating he should take them NOW without her knowledge. So I gave them to him. They are now on his orders.

I still have not talked to the surgeon although he has spoken to dh. I called the office and left a message for his PA. The PA called me back and told me everything. Coincidentally the hepatologist was there and filled in the gaps and concurred much of the information that overlapped the two docs specialties. So read on here is what I know....

The surgery went exactly as they thought it should. They were able to put an articulating spacer in so he will have some movement. This is a good thing. He is in a knee immobilizer from ankle to thigh. He was up and walking on it with a walker already. So things are looking ok there.

I walked into them inserting his PIC line today (not sure if that is spelled correctly). This is how we will administer IV antibiotics for the next 6 weeks at home. The 6 weeks could be more or less. Then they will take him off antibiotics for 2 weeks. At that time they will determine if infection is gone by doing an MRI, culturing fluid from the knee (if there is any) and then visual inspection. If all docs involved the infection is clear they will make him active on the liver transplant list.

Once he is on the list they will only do the new knee replacement if something happens that indicates it. They will do liver transplant as soon as one is available. Then in 3-4 months they will do the replacement. If his recovery from transplant is going well or something happens that indicates need to do the replacement they will go ahead with it. At this pace I suspect he will be all redone by May or June. We will see.

You all are so wonderful. He is much better. Once they get him off the pain pump it will be that much better. I will be writing to lots of people about this experience. Everyone raves over this hospital. I just don't see what the big deal is. I wonder how people that don't have someone there for them asking questions or don't question themselves manage. The nurse did indicate it is an issue for many. She is really trying to fix all the woes so I will be sure to commend her as well.

Don't hesitate to ask questions. I am really very tired and have probably left out things. Thanks for all your wonderful support. Much love and hugs to you all! swooze!

15 comments:

Becky said...

Swoozie, you are in my thoughts and prayers. Hang on, honey, things will get better.

Pam said...

Oh gosh - it sure sounds like a bit of a trial these past two days. Good to hear you are getting the information you need. I think the biggest problem in hospitals is the transferring of information from one person or department to another.

Hang in there and good luck!!

Clare said...

Swppze - thinking of you. It will get better. At least you've got the info now that you needed and can move forward. The quicker he is out and at home, the quicker he will recover.

SuBee said...

Geeesh - glad to hear they're finally talking to you! You guys have a long haul ahead of you; I'm putting you on my prayer chain. ((hugs))

Debi said...

I am glad Mark is doing better. I will keep your family in my prayers. Please don't hestitate to call me if you need anything.

Jo Raines said...

Prayers to you during this difficult time. I hope he recovers well.

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Prayers continue for you both. I agree the communication of information can be such an overwhelming issue on so many levels. One day at a time. Get some rest...

Kim said...

many prayers for both of you during all this- it's amazing what the medical profession puts us through-

Quilter Kathy said...

Jeez that is so stressful for you all...and so complicated, eh?
I know that it's so hard being the "case manager"... trying to organize everything, ask all the right questions, and ensure that the treatment goes well. Hope his recovery goes smoothly.

Anonymous said...

Lucky that behind every man is a super, fantastic, strong and couragous woman!!!! Good on you Swooze
Cheers
Eva

Sweet P said...

I'm sending lots of prayers and good thoughts your way. Take one day at a time and if you need us, we're here.

Anonymous said...

I have just caught up with your blog (after a busy work week) and I am so sorry for everything you are going through, hopefully it will all be worth it in the end. My thoughts are with you and your family, and take care of yourself too. Best wishes, Sharon

Meredith said...

You spelled pic line correctly I had one in for a few montsh for Lyme's disease. I am glad you are making it. I am so happy that you have taken some time for yourself to quilt. don't feel guilty. Hugs

Jeanne said...

So happy that the surgery went as planned and that your DH is now home.
Be sure to take good care of yourself, too. Keeping you both in my prayers.

Anonymous said...

Post your queries related to Knee Replacement at,

http://www.wockhardthospitals.net/general/give_quote.asp

Toll Free
UK: 0-808-234-6343
US / Canada: 1-800-730-6373